Hybrid View

Default Dog *sometimes* nibbles from cat litter box...euuuuu!

Please don't tell me the health risks or how someone's dog died from this. I'm worried enough already! My dog is 100 pounds and we have 3 cats. There is no way I can put the litter box up high or in a bath tub. Chase, my Rhodesian Ridgeback, seldom does this but on occasion he walks by me and I can tell where he's been. I have scolded him but he hasn't stopped it. I clean the litter box very often.

Anyone else have this problem?? Any ideas?

Eeeewwww, that's gross! Just keep him away from the litter box

We have two dogs and one of them did this. The only way to stop it is to get a litter box he can't get to. Either the one that automatically scoops (which we had but we had two cats and it broke, because the cats create too much...litter, to put it delicately, and it's a lot for the thing to handle, and the thing is noisy, too) or buy/build one of those boxes with a zig-zag entry. My husband built one and made it look like a cabinet so we could store the extra litter and bags up above. It looks just like our other furniture so no one knows the kitty litter is in there. And the dog is foiled :-)

There's this one: http://www.pfprivy.com/main.html

And these: http://www.hawkswillwoodwork.com/

My husband kind of combined the second (the zig-zag entry of the ones at Hawkswill) because our old cat couldn't use a top entry box and used the top half for storage.

Oh, another thing we did before we built the box was get a covered litter box at Wal-Mart and turn it toward the corner so that the dog couldn't put his head in there. But our dog is smart and finally figured out how to turn it. He's eats everything -- been in the vet's three times for eating stupid things .

HTH,

Shirley
    Shirley

New York Times bestselling author
    In Stores Now: MARRIED BY MORNING, Harlequin Romance
    www.shirleyjump.com
    TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

How neat! I have never seen those. I have a friend with 3 or more dogs and about 7 cats....I am adding that tot the Christmas list!

Thanks Shirley!
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

You're welcome! It's worked great for us!

Shirley
    Shirley

New York Times bestselling author
    In Stores Now: MARRIED BY MORNING, Harlequin Romance
    www.shirleyjump.com

I keep the "snack box" in the basement so the dog can't get to it.

At our old house we had a basement but you can also do this to a laundry room and any other room.

I went to the local home improvment store. They have a damaged section and I bought a door that had been damaged at the top. I cut the door in half and mounted the locking door handle backwards so little hands couldn't unlock it. Then at the bottom I cut a small door so the cats could walk thru but the kids couldn't.

People thought I was nuts at first but my mother loved it and still has a half door across her basement stairs so no one falls down them.

Oh our dog, Abby, used to do that all of the time, it was disgusting..not to mention a huge mess for me to clean up at times. I just ended up having to keep her away from the room when I wasn't around. She eventually got the hint though and is now a good girl about it.
    Reading: Dragon Wytch, by Yasmine Galenorn
    TBR: Many

Awards Showcase

Default Coprophagia

Quote Originally Posted by Dewdrop View Post
    Please don't tell me the health risks or how someone's dog died from this. I'm worried enough already! My dog is 100 pounds and we have 3 cats. There is no way I can put the litter box up high or in a bath tub. Chase, my Rhodesian Ridgeback, seldom does this but on occasion he walks by me and I can tell where he's been. I have scolded him but he hasn't stopped it. I clean the litter box very often.

Anyone else have this problem?? Any ideas?
    My first GSD did that also. I tried everything, but a drop of hot sauce on one of the nuggets did wonders. It sounds mean, but Baron was becoming a real problem, and it didn't hurt him at all. One time he went out in a snow storm and tried to bring one in the house. I of course dopey, thought it was a stick and told him to give it to me. My husband still laughs when he tells the story of me screaming and throwing the poopsicle back in the yard.
  9. jennzilla

My cocker Zoe did this and now Paco does this too, I don't know why. It's not like he doesn't have perfectly good food in his dish. Just UCK! I've turned the box around so he can't get it and there's no way he can turn it since he's so small. Now to get the EFO to stop eating the dog's food. He only does it because he's well, *ahem* the Evil Feline Overlord.