Interview with Gary Peterson
The Old Miller Place
available at: Solstice Publishing
> >
1. Tell us a little about The Old Miller Place, what inspired you to write the novel?>>
>>
This is a story set in the early 1960ís and involves an average family faced with some very difficult situations. They buy a haunted house where objects move by themselves and voices seem to come from nowhere. The hero, George Peabody, researches the old houseís history and learns of grizzly murders that had taken place there. In the process of doing this an attorney is bludgeoned to death and a murdered woman ends up in the back of his truck. He is placed on trial for both murders and it seems he will be found guilty. He is suddenly kidnapped by the real murderer and his detective friends, Gary Wise and Henry Thayer, search for clues to find him. You will need to read the book to learn who the real villain is and how it ends! >>
My inspiration for this novel stems back to when I was 17 years old, which was in the early 1960ís by the way. My family moved into an old farm house that everyone thought was haunted. Dark shadows frequently appeared on the walls from windows that were too small for the structure. The floors creaked when you walked on them and the doors groaned when opened. There was an old painting on the wall that we thought were the original owners. With my imagination running wild you can see how I came up with the floating salt shaker, footprints disappearing in the snow, and voices that came from nowhere. Since I love mysteries I also had to add a dead body or two.>>
>>
2. Do you have a favorite character you have written?>>
>>
My favorite character is George Peabody. He is average looking and not a superstar in any sense, but is above average in intelligence and uses his reasoning skills to solve murders. This is someone we can all relate to and a reminder that anyone can overcome difficult circumstances if he or she does not give up.. >>
>>
3. What are you currently working on?>>
>>
I am working on a sequel called The Millpond Murder Case. George Peabody must match wits with a murderer who chops off the hands and feet of his victims and poses them by a millpond in the small town of Timber. It should be finished sometime this summer. >>
>>
4. How long have you been writing? What influenced you to start? >>
>>
I have used my writing skills all of my adult life to prepare work related reports. Since Iím getting close to retiring from my day position I decided to try something different and wrote a mystery novel. I found this to be a lot of fun and plan to continue doing this as a second career. >>
>>
5. How do your family/friends feel about your writing?>>
>>
Everyone is excited about my writing a novel and wants to read it as soon as it published. Most of them have asked me why I didnít start doing this a long time ago. >>
>>
6. Where do you hope to be in 5 years?>>
>>
I plan to write a series of George Peabody mysteries and a lot of other short stories along the way. Hopefully, someone will recognize the quality of these stories and make a movie out of one of them. Later on, I plan to write a story about the adversity my mom faced trying to raise four children while caring for a dying husband. >>
>>
7. Do you have any advice for new or aspiring author?>>
>>
Write what you know and care about. Also, donít guess when you are not sure of your facts. Thereís a lot of good information on the internet and you can find most of your answers there.>>
>>
8. What is your favorite book? (one that you have read) and why?>>
"I like the old classics; especially the old Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie books as they were popular when I was a kid. The language they used was particularly rich and colorful. Agatha Christie also would emphasize particular points by repeating key words in a unique way.">>
>>
>>
9. On the fun side, what is your favorite television show and why?>>
>>
I love the crime dramas mostly; CSI (whatever version), Hawaii 5ĒOĒ, Murder She Wrote, etc. Mostly I like to see how the hero uses his reasoning skills in solving the murder of the week.>>
>>
10. Where can readers find you _________? (Include all links you want, facebook, twitter etc....)>>
>>
>>
My website is: http://mysterywritergarypeterson.web.com/>>
My blog is: http://garypeterson32.blogspot.com/>>
I am on Facebook: garypeterson@facebook.com>>
Also twitter: http://twitter.com/oldmillerplace/>>
I have two e-mail addresses: gary.peterson64@yahoo.com>>
Pepsiman32@centurytel.net>>
>>
>>