Thread: Writing Blurbs

Reading: Wking on Black Waters
    TBR: 100+

Awards Showcase

xreading Writing Blurbs

A Blurb is a brief summary of the plot found on the back of a book jacket or the inside cover flap. It is the prompt designed to spark both interest and curiosity about the novel.

Consumer studies show that the average buyer will spend eight seconds on the front cover and fifteen to twenty five seconds on the back reading the Blurb, quotes, and reviews found there.

Unlike a High Concept which should be five to seven words, you should have two versions of your blurb a short and a long version.

A blurb develops the High Concept and tells a bit more about your story.

Here are two examples of two of my blurbs:

Your Cheatin Hearts - Short Version

Combine one hair brain uncover assignment with two bungling kidnappers and get the most eligible bachelor in town. It’s a recipe for disaster for pretty PI Shelby MacGregor who always gets her man.

Pirates in Paradise - Short Version

On the run from Drug Traffickers, US Marshals and FBI, Haley Rollins assumes her twin sister’s identity. Her only hope is a modern day Pirate but can she trust him with her secret or her heart?

I’m not going to include examples of the long version of a book blurb here; you can pick up your favorite book and review either the back jacket or the inside flap.

If you haven’t completed a book, writing a Blurb is a wonderful opportunity to shape your thoughts about your work in progress.

If you are having trouble writing your High Concept or Blurb, take your synopsis and keep cutting until you have reduced down to a paragraph for your Blurb.

Like the High Concept, the Blurb is an invaluable marketing tool with infinite uses. You will find yourself using both over and over again.

Lights, Camera. Murder! – Short Version

Working with Police Chief Jon Maddux, Sage knows their only hope is to stop a relentless killer who will stop at nothing to get what he wants and she is his next target. With only each other to trust, will Sage and Jon overcome this danger before they are consumed by their own steamy desire?

When submitting a book to a publisher, you want to have both your High Concept and short and long version of your Blurb.

Short and long blurbs are not to be confused with your synopsis which tells all. Use your synopsis when submitting your book to your publisher.

Good friend Mary Buckham does the hands down best class in synopsis writing and if you want to learn more about synopsis writing, try to attend one of her online or conference classes.

Okay, so if you have a blurb on your book, Post It!

Tomorrow, we will be discussing a Tip Sheet, another vital piece of work you will want to have on hand for your promotional efforts.

Have a good day everyone! Linn
    Linn Random
    www.LinnRandom.com

Top Selling Author - Mystery, Suspense, Intrigue
    Pirates in Paradise, Lights, Camera. Murder!
    Your Cheatin Hearts, Haunted Hearts,
    Driving Book Sales - E-Books, Kindle, Print
    Visit www.LinnRandom.com
    Reading: Rex Stout's The Golden Spiders
    Just Finished Reading: Swimming Lessons by Dahlia DeWinters
    TBR: 6

Awards Showcase

I never knew what this was called, until a few months ago, but it's something I've always done. Whenever I start a new story I try to think of a sentence or one to two paragraphs and jot them down. That way when and if I come back for an idea I have a bit of plot and character sketched out.
    Reading: Wking on Black Waters
    TBR: 100+

Awards Showcase

Telly, that is what I do.......otherwise they will continue to scream at me to write them before my current wip is done. Good thought! Linn
    Linn Random
    www.LinnRandom.com

Top Selling Author - Mystery, Suspense, Intrigue
    Pirates in Paradise, Lights, Camera. Murder!
    Your Cheatin Hearts, Haunted Hearts,
    Driving Book Sales - E-Books, Kindle, Print
    Visit www.LinnRandom.com