I think the alpha/beta thing is a personal decision. Of course alpha males are more popular so you just have to decide if you want to write something that appeals to the largest majority of people. Think about the popularity of paranormal romance - vampires, werewolves and demons - the ultimate alpha males, they're actually monsters. For whatever reason our culture is demanding the strong, brooding male. Of course you can find books without them. I don't believe I write traditional alpha males. My heroes are strong and sexy, but not really brooding. It's just not my thing. But right now historicals aren't quite as popular as paranormals. That can always shift.

The bottom line is, you have to be true to your voice and if the alpha male doesn't work for you, then don't write them.

As for writing for love or money, I don't think anyone goes into writing for money. And if they do, they certainly wouldn't stick with it for very long. Of course there is money to be made in this business, but it's really a tiny portion of published authors who make the big bucks. Most of us make some money that contributes to our family's income but trust me we're not at home with a staff of 100, eating bon-bons and dictating our novels effortlessly to a home assistant. My laundry piles up, I have a car payment and a mortgage and I clip coupons obsessively. So no, I don't do this for the money, I do this because I can't do anything else. I can't not write. It's engrained in who I am, I am a storyteller and I will continue to do this whether the advance checks come or not.