Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Reading: Something erotic, vampirish, or a book with a guy in a kilt on the cover
    Just Finished Reading: A hot book! What else?
    TBR: GOBS

Awards Showcase

Post Welcome to Creating a Marketing Plan

If you read the blurb about this class, you know it's for those who are too busy writing to have time for marketing, as well as those who are too busy marketing to have time for writing. Whichever camp you fit into -- this is for you.

We'll cover a number of issues each week, M, T, W. On Th-Su you'll have time to practice the things you learn in class, and to make note of areas where you need help. Oh, and to write, market, eat, sleep, do the evil day job, chase the kids, love on that significant person of yours, and all those other things that constitute having a life. Uh... you do have one of those, don't you? If not, I hope this class gives you the help you need to get yours back!

To help me help you, please reply to this post and answer the following:

1. What is your author name? (or names if you write under more than one)
    2. Are you published, contracted but no book yet, writing while you await that first big break, or ______?
    3. What do you wish you could do better?
    4. What do you feel you are doing well marketing-wise?
    5. Give us a tip for marketing that has helped you.

I'll start.

1. I'm Kayelle Allen.
    2. I have eight books published, and one getting ready to submit (yay!).
    3. I wish I was a better blogger. Sometimes I just go blank.
    4. I created a distinct, recognizable logo and use it everywhere on the web as my avatar and profile picture.
    5. See other authors not as competition, but as partners working to gain recognition for the genre in which you write.
    Kayelle Allen

Want the inside secrets? Read the Romance Lives Forever News
    The Author's Secret: eBook conversions, banners, and premade book covers
    Newest Books
    Keeper of My Pleasure Contemporary BDSM Romance
    Forbid My Heart: A Luc and Rah Story A Tarthian Empire Saga
    Follow me on
    Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Goodreads / Shelfari

Awards Showcase

Hi Kayelle,

I'll be following this class but as yet I don't have a book ready, let alone published. Hope to sell something in the new year so this will be excellent information for me.
    Reading: Something erotic, vampirish, or a book with a guy in a kilt on the cover

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria L View Post
    Hi Kayelle,

I'll be following this class but as yet I don't have a book ready, let alone published. Hope to sell something in the new year so this will be excellent information for me.
    You'll be miles ahead by the time you get there, Gloria. Good for you!
    Kayelle Allen

Newest Books
    Follow me on

To help me help you, please reply to this post and answer the following:

1. What is your author name? (or names if you write under more than one) J. Q. Rose
    2. Are you published, contracted but no book yet, writing while you await that first big break, or ______? My mystery/light horror novella, Sunshine Boulevard, was released March 2011 by Muse It Up Publishing
    3. What do you wish you could do better? Find readers! It seems I only market to authors
    4. What do you feel you are doing well marketing-wise? I am very good at using mystery/light horror novella, Sunshine Boulevard, in everything I do online--as you can tell from answer #2. LOL
    5. Give us a tip for marketing that has helped you. I learned how to schedule my posts on blogger.
    J Q Rose
    Coda to Murder, mystery/sweet romance
    Available at all major online booksellers
    http://www.jqrose.com
    http://girlssucceed.blogspot.com

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by J Q Rose View Post

1. What is your author name? (or names if you write under more than one) J. Q. Rose
    My mystery/light horror novella, Sunshine Boulevard, was released March 2011 by Muse It Up Publishing

Congratulations! Is your next book ready? Nothing sells the first book like the second one, and nothing sells the first two like the third. Ask any author with a backlist. It's a small truth many newbies overlook, but it is true.

I wish I could find readers! It seems I only market to authors.

I know it feels that way sometimes. The flip side of that is that writers are always readers. We have to be to succeed. I have a folder for ebooks that has well over 500 books in it. I also have a 6-ft tall bookshelf with paperbacks three deep on shelves all the way down, and many in storage. Last month I think I bought about 16 books in all, which is an average of what... 4 a week? So don't worry if you attract authors. Authors read, buy, tell friends and family, and their readers hear about what they read as well. I often hear the comment about only seeming to market to authors, but the truth is, readers are out there. Writers are quite comfortable with social media and aren't afraid to pop up and comment. I think readers sometimes let us do their talking. We ask what they would have, but we beat them to it.

Marketing-wise I am very good at using mystery/light horror novella, Sunshine Boulevard, in everything I do online--as you can tell from answer #2. LOL

You are doing that right then. Good! Don't stop.

A marketing tip that helped -- I learned how to schedule my posts on blogger.

That is more awesome than you think. I didn't know that for the longest time. If you are looking for a good spot to find blogs where you can post, try http://myguestblog.com I've found more wonderful blogs there than would ever have found on my own. You can pick a very specific target and have newly joined blogs emailed to you. I get 3-4 a day, and have found some that are priceless treasure troves of info. You can also request guest bloggers.

Stay with us. You will find those readers. That's one of the most important parts of your marketing plan -- figuring out where they are. I'll show you how.
    Kayelle Allen

Newest Books
    Follow me on

No my next book isn't even close to ready, but I am beginning to see the need to get myself out there to build upon some name recognition. I seem to be promoting rather than writing, but I am going to change that this summer and save time for writing too. Thanks for your info.
    J Q Rose
    Coda to Murder, mystery/sweet romance
    Available at all major online booksellers
    http://www.jqrose.com
    http://girlssucceed.blogspot.com

Awards Showcase

I'm happy to help. When I began writing, I was told it takes 3-5 years to create a name for yourself. It can happen in less than that - or longer. The best way to make yourself known is to produce books.

My friend Kiernan Kelly has about as many novels as I have, but she also has over 55 short stories published. She retired from her day job on her royalties several years ago. It took me longer.

I have friends who started writing the same time I did, who put out one or two books, got discouraged or lost interest, and gave up. The difference between success and failure is that the successful person gets up one more time than they fall down.

My best advice: Keep getting back up! =^_^=
    Kayelle Allen

Newest Books
    Follow me on
    Reading: Kresley Cole
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Needs at Nights Edge by Kresley Cole
    TBR: 27

Awards Showcase

1. What is your author name? (or names if you write under more than one) Patricia Bates
    2. Are you published, contracted but no book yet, writing while you await that first big break, or ______? I currently have four books out with two more set for release one this month (May) and one in July.
    3. What do you wish you could do better? Developing a successful marketing strategy for my books.
    4. What do you feel you are doing well marketing-wise? I'm keeping an active visibility for my readers.
    5. Give us a tip for marketing that has helped you. Understanding how to be pro-active...there's active and then there's being proactive and going in with a plan.

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Bates View Post
    What is your author name? (or names if you write under more than one) Patricia Bates

I currently have four books out with two more set for release one this month (May) and one in July.

That's wonderful, Patricia. Do you have promotions already set up during that month? If you can find out who else is releasing books with that publisher at the same time, you may be able to work out a combined promo that will gain you both more exposure.

I wish I could develop a successful marketing strategy for my books.

Wish no more. Stick with this class and you'll have the basis for one and know how to create one for every book, no matter how divergent (or similar) the genre.

Marketing-wise, my strength is keeping an active visibility for my readers.

That is a strength I envy. It's no mean feat to do that. Do you mind sharing sites or activities where you spend the most time?

A tip for marketing that helped me is understanding how to be pro-active...there's active and then there's being proactive and going in with a plan.

Well put. Wordweb says being proactive means "controlling a situation by causing something to happen rather than waiting to respond to it after it happens." That is a vital part of dealing with an issue. Care to share an example?
    Kayelle Allen

Newest Books
    Follow me on
    Reading: Kresley Cole
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Needs at Nights Edge by Kresley Cole
    TBR: 27

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by kayelle_allen View Post
    I currently have four books out with two more set for release one this month (May) and one in July.

That's wonderful, Patricia. Do you have promotions already set up during that month? If you can find out who else is releasing books with that publisher at the same time, you may be able to work out a combined promo that will gain you both more exposure.

I do have a couple of promos that I'm working on - but sadly I haven't been able to set anything in stone. Be nice to do a big launch, get things hopping - since Firecracker is as my editor said 'Hot'! I'll have to post to the look for the publisher and see...maybe there is.

I wish I could develop a successful marketing strategy for my books.

Wish no more. Stick with this class and you'll have the basis for one and know how to create one for every book, no matter how divergent (or similar) the genre.

I'm hoping that's so. After several months of trying to find a home for a book I got the rights back to I've decided to self-pub it. So I definitely need a marketing plan for that...

As well as a major series I'm working on with another author.

Marketing-wise, my strength is keeping an active visibility for my readers.

That is a strength I envy. It's no mean feat to do that. Do you mind sharing sites or activities where you spend the most time?

Not at all. Sites I'm active on besides Coffee Time, are LinkedIn, WRDF (Writers and readers of Distinct Fiction), Red Room, IBC, as well as I try to get on as many blogs as I can and I try to put a plug in each time I do my Blog Talk radio program. I'm also active on Romance Divas, author loops - including eromanceauthors yahoo loop a new group but its growin.

A tip for marketing that helped me is understanding how to be pro-active...there's active and then there's being proactive and going in with a plan.

Well put. Wordweb says being proactive means "controlling a situation by causing something to happen rather than waiting to respond to it after it happens." That is a vital part of dealing with an issue. Care to share an example?
    When I contracted my paranormal romance Phantom Pleasure last year, before the ink had even dried on it I was posting to the loops, looking ways to market it, looking at avenues to explore possibilities - looking at how the title could work for or against me... It proved to be invaluable because there are titles very similiar to mine and now I can avoid making that mistake.

Beyond that I keep in constant contact with my pubs - for one reason above the others - there was a mix up with a book on a third party distributor - I contacted my publisher immediately upon being notified of it by a fan - saved any confusion and aggrivation.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast