Reading: Something erotic, vampirish, or a book with a guy in a kilt on the cover
    Just Finished Reading: A hot book! What else?
    TBR: GOBS

Awards Showcase

Post 02 Avoiding Brand X: Creating a Bio

If you haven't been asked for one of these yet, you will be. When I have a guest blogger I ask for a short bio, links to sites, jpgs of covers, and an excerpt as well as the interview I send. If you're featured anywhere, you'll need one. It's also handy on your website or blog.

Try to create several, with different lengths and different POVs. Aim for at least one under 30 words, one from 120 to 150 words, and one between 50-100. This way, when you get a request for a 25 word-or-less bio, it's easy to do a bit of paring and tightening. If you need half a page, you can add a bit of detail to a longer one.

What do you say in a bio?
    I'm a list maker, so here are my 1-2-3 bullets.

1. Your author name. Some write under their given names. Use the name you want readers to know.
    2. What you write genre wise.
    3. Your interests and unusual things about you. Do you have 17 cats? Volunteer at an animal shelter? Never miss an episode of the Event? Make quilts for charity? Go with your biking club on trail rides on weekends? Eating sushi, and role-playing in World of Warcraft. "I just made level forty, and I'm on to Blackrock Depths."
    4. Family info only if you're okay with that. Make it a bit humorous if you like: Candy is married and has two children, and lives in San Francisco with more cats than she can count. [OR] Danielle is refurbishing a loft and spends her weekends comparing carpet and drape samples, perusing antique shops, and letting her Doberman take her for walks.
    5. One main place where you can be found on the web.

You can have different bios for different events. I'll share a few of mine so you can see the changes.

60 words
    Kayelle Allen's motto is "romance lives forever." She enjoys hiking, movies, reading, and SciFi conventions. A multipublished, award winning author with character-driven, plot-heavy SciFi Romances, her worldbuilding skills include alien languages and 10k years of future history. Kayelle is known for unstoppable heroes, uncompromising love, unforgettable passion. You can find her on the web at her 130 page website http://kayelleallen.com

---

110 words
    Kayelle Allen is a multipublished, award winning romance author whose worldbuilding skills include ten-thousand years of future history, a feline language, and tradestandard laws for the empire where her books take place. Her writing lures you inside each hero's head and seduces you with what he feels and thinks. She thrusts you into the hero's heart and mind, teases and satisfies you with his sexuality and sensual joys, and drags you onto the roller coaster with him when it plunges into the darkness of things-gone-wrong. When you and the hero get off the ride at the end, it's Kayelle's hope you'll be back in line when the next ride starts.

---
    FIRST PERSON VERSIONS

103 words
    I'm a multipublished, award-winning Science Fiction Romance author, with titles in both eBook and print. My worldbuilding skills include ten-thousand years of future history, an alien language, and laws for the universe where my character-driven, plot-heavy books take place. I write about unstoppable heroes, uncompromising love, and unforgettable passion, including both gay and straight heroes/heroines. I teach marketing and promotion concepts to other authors, and believe that helping others helps me. I'm married, enjoy hiking, movies, reading, and attending Science Fiction conventions. I've been a panelist at DragonCon, guest speaker at Outlantacon, and will be a guest at both Outlantacon and Gaylaxicon in 2011.

---
    73 words

My motto is Romance Lives Forever. I am a multipublished, award winning author with character-driven, plot-heavy SciFi Romances. My worldbuilding includes alien languages and 10k years of future history. My books are known for unstoppable heroes, uncompromising love, unforgettable passion. I enjoy hiking, movies, reading, and SciFi conventions. I am married to my own personal hero, and we live in north Georgia with two banshee-shrieking parakeets, a territorial dove, and a neurotic cockatiel.

---
    As you can see, a bio contains the same general information no matter where it's used. Generally, they're changed for tone depending on the event.

Think of a bio as a quick, down and dirty resume for your writing. The facts, with enough of your personality to show your writing style.

HOMEWORK
    Work on a 50 word-or-less bio and post it here. That will be our final work for the week. I'll help you polish it on Wed. If you already have a bio, post it and let's see if there is anything we can do to give it extra gloss.

Coming up on Monday, we start the Great Reader Search. Don't miss it!
    Last edited by kayelle_allen; May 4th, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
    Kayelle Allen

Read the Romance Lives Forever News (goodies and books)
    The Author's Secret: eBook conversions, banners, and premade book covers
    Follow me on
    Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Goodreads / Shelfari