Reading: Something erotic, vampirish, or a book with a guy in a kilt on the cover
    Just Finished Reading: A hot book! What else?
    TBR: GOBS

Awards Showcase

Post 10 Your Personal Resource File

How many of you have bookmarks in your browser? Pretty much all of you I bet. Earlier this year, I had a major malfunction with Internet Explorer 8 and couldn't get it to play videos no matter what I did. Eventually whatever caused the issue snowballed into other problems and I finally had to bite the bullet and switch permanently to using Mozilla Firefox. In the process of reinstalling IE, I lost all my latest bookmarks.

Fortunately, I'm in the habit of backing up files and one that I save quarterly is my internet Favorites folder. Favorites can also be imported from one browser to another, and isn't that a great option!

Your Personal Resource File is a composite of the most-used and most-effective bookmarks, as well as a list of who to contact for various aspects of promoting. Note: not all will apply to each author and/or publisher

• Publisher's in-house review coordinator
    • Review site submission eddresses* and contacts
    • Promo site contacts if you work with one
    • Yahoo group moderators and owners for groups where you participate
    * An "eddress" is an email address

Keeping these in a single document can be helpful. It puts everyone a click away. What types of sites are most important to you?
    Kayelle Allen

Want the inside secrets? Read the Romance Lives Forever News
    The Author's Secret: eBook conversions, banners, and premade book covers
    Newest Books
    Keeper of My Pleasure Contemporary BDSM Romance
    Forbid My Heart: A Luc and Rah Story A Tarthian Empire Saga
    Follow me on
    Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Goodreads / Shelfari

This is definitely something I need to put into use. I have a bad habit of adding links to my favorites list, but never using the list. I've been organizing everything lately and favorites is on my list to does. Also, figuring out a way to backup my hotmail emails.

Important sites: my bill folder - links to pay bills - would be at the top of the list. The rest is a jumbled mess.
    Reading: Something erotic, vampirish, or a book with a guy in a kilt on the cover
    Just Finished Reading: A hot book! What else?
    TBR: GOBS

Awards Showcase

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Cher Green View Post
    Important sites: my bill folder - links to pay bills - would be at the top of the list. The rest is a jumbled mess.
    I have a Favorites folder called Household. Anything related to home and maintenance goes in there. Sites to pay bills, the plumber's website, even doctor links. It's good to reorganize now and then. Kudos for putting things in order.

For those who need help with Favorites / Bookmarks

Most browsers let you organize your Favorites folders by having subfolders. In my Characters folder, I have subfolders for several aspects, including sex. In there, I have links for everything from abuse hotlines to the kamasutra. One of my heroes, Khyff from For Women Only, had been an abused child, worked as a sex slave, gained his freedom, and in the opening of his book, exhibited some classic signs of a survivor of abuse. Researching how such a person might cope led me to many useful sites.

My current folders are (in order as shown):

• Household
    • Characters
    • Photospots
    • Marketing
    • Fun
    • Writing
    • Software and PCs
    • Space and Astronomy
    • Blogs
    • RPG Research
    I use a shortcut bar to keep most-used links like Facebook, Twitter, Mashable, Feedburner, and so on. My Yahoo toolbar has buttons for several other spots. I like the one-click ease of buttons. My Google toolbar has Stumbleupon and ShareThis.

The best tip I can offer is to start out organized and build on that foundation. If you're dealing with massive lists of links that aren't sorted, it might help to think of them as stacks of paper. Skim thru them once to see what's there, and jot down categories. Combine smaller ones that fit, and then create those folders. Test old links to be sure they still work, and then file. Going forward, place bookmarked pages within one of the existing folders. It's easier to maintain than start over.
    Kayelle Allen

Want the inside secrets? Read the Romance Lives Forever News
    The Author's Secret: eBook conversions, banners, and premade book covers
    Newest Books
    Keeper of My Pleasure Contemporary BDSM Romance
    Forbid My Heart: A Luc and Rah Story A Tarthian Empire Saga
    Follow me on
    Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Goodreads / Shelfari

Although I do have a general idea of how to keep these organized, your suggestions add to my thoughts. I'm going to attack this issue before the week is out. Add it to my weekly goals.
    Reading: Kresley Cole
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Needs at Nights Edge by Kresley Cole
    TBR: 27

Awards Showcase

Definitely going on my list of to dos. I'm organized but its more of a chaotic organization at the moment lol...