Thread: iGoogle

Default iGoogle

Do you Google? iGoogle is a customized page that you can add all sort of widgets or stuff to. You can have more than one page - each page is shown as a separate tab.

I have 1 tab called home. It has a section for Google Bookmarks (a cool way to access your favorite links no matter where you are), Gmail, Google Calendar, Local weather, and a To-do pad.

I have 2nd tab called news. It has, well, news. You can get CNN headlines, People, all sorts of stuff.

My 3rd tab is called Writing. This has all my writing tools. Thesaurus, Dictionary, Wikipedia, Unit Conversion (I'm Canadian and used to thinking in metric), Etymology, Acronyms, Grammar and Writing tips, Word of the Day, and a Map My Word visual dictionary / thesaurus.

There's a lot more - you can get lost in all the stuff that you can add to these pages and they are quick and easy to get. Google will even set up a page based on the title you give it but you can easily add, delete and move stuff around.

I find it incredibly useful. I'm mostly using the Thesaurus and Dictionary right now as I am in the final stages of editing my novel but I can't wait to start actively writing again so I can play with all my new toys.

Anyway, I hope you find it useful.

David
    TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

Talking

I agree. I like the thesaurus and the dictionary. That is one of the main things that I put on our tool bar so authors & readers could find it quickly and easily!

Thanks David!
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Karenne View Post
    I agree. I like the thesaurus and the dictionary. That is one of the main things that I put on our tool bar so authors & readers could find it quickly and easily!

Thanks David!
    Karenne

The nice thing about iGoogle is that you can access it regardless of where you are or what computer you are on. I use my own computer at home and the office computer at work - very rarely of course. LOL!

Toolbars are useful but IMO they take up screen real estate and they aren't easily portable. I will admit that they are more convenient since they are always there, regardless of what page you are on, but with a multi tab browser it's easy to keep 1 tab open for iGoogle. Heck, make it your home page and link to the pages you visit most often from there using Google Bookmarks.

Regardless of whether it's a Toolbar or a Webpage, it's good to have these tools available.

David

That sounds like a website called Netvibes that I used to use alot. It didn't help me as much as distract me, but I'll go check out iGoogle. It might be just what I've been looking for... *off to check this new tool out*

Quote Originally Posted by phoenyxstarr View Post
    That sounds like a website called Netvibes that I used to use alot. It didn't help me as much as distract me, but I'll go check out iGoogle. It might be just what I've been looking for... *off to check this new tool out*
    You can get distracted with iGoogle if you let yourself. The trick is to keep it simple. I know, easier said than done. LOL

I checked out Netvibes and you are right, it's very similar. I find the iGoogle interface a little cleaner though so I'll stick with it for now.

You say you used to use Netvibes a lot - why did you stop? The distraction?
    Reading: Vampire love bites

Awards Showcase

I have used iGoogle, it never seem problematic for you.
    I'm the author of Dulce de Leche. Details about me.