Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Background

Reading: Highland Hellcat by Mary Wine
    Just Finished Reading: Never A Bride by Amelia Grey

Awards Showcase

May 1855

Tina has been acting strangely since Nathan's birthday in April. I thought she was happy to see Aaron, but she seems withdrawn, almost shy, with him. She's never done so before. I wonder if, now that she's 16, she's beginning to look upon him in a different way because of the betrothal. He's a fine looking young man and I'm sure has many women interested in him.

On the other hand, Felicia has always worshiped her older brother, but now does not seem to be inclined to even be in the same room with him. I wonder if Aaron has done something to either or both of them.

Or, perhaps it is his companion, for even I do not like Mr. Milton. It is unsettling to be in the same room with him as I can feel his hostility. Moreso because Aaron has talked Nathan into hiring Milton as his new steward. Milton has obviously run an estate before because Nathan was impressed with his knowledge and abilities when they spoke. Regardless, I still am uneasy in his presence.
    Denise Patrick
    Heaven begins with an HEA. . .

Blog Website

Give us more. Now you have me hooked.

Kimmyl

Awards Showcase

Typing

Notice in The Times - June 25, 1855

In Memoriam
    Aaron Nathaniel, Viscount Collings
    Born: November 12, 1825
    Died: June 23, 1855

------------------------------------------------
    Life is terribly unfair! Poor Nathan is beside himself with grief. I thought losing my first husband was terrible. I cannot fathom what it feels like to lose a child. At times like this Nona would say "Death is a part of life. We all experience it eventually."

But, to that I would say, "A parent should not outlive their own child." Especially in such a senseless way as a duel. Aaron always seemed a bit reckless, but lately we thought he was settling down, preparing himself for marriage and a family. I don't know that we will ever know the entire story.

Both Tina and Felicia are acting strangely in the wake of Aaron's death. I do not want to say they are happy, but their tears do not seem to be tears of loss. I almost suspect them of being relieved. My curiosity is aroused, but for now must be left on its own as Nathan needs me more.
    Denise Patrick

Blog Website

Awards Showcase

October 1855

I know I should not judge - and I am trying not to, but I cannot contain my shock over learning that Ella, our Cook's daughter, is pregnant. She is only 16 - still a child! Daisy and her family have been a part of this family for a very long time. Daisy's mother was Cook here before her. Felicia absolutely adores their entire family. So, what am I to tell her?

I know that trying to forbid Felicia from seeing them would be a disaster, but I do not want her thinking that there is nothing wrong in this entire situation. Perhaps, I should discuss this with her, but nine is too young to understand sexual intimacy. Perhaps I ought to just warn her that what Ella has done is wrong and babies should not be born unless the parents are married.

I worry that someday this will all come back to haunt me because I know Nona was not married to my great-grandfather.
    Denise Patrick

Blog Website

Awards Showcase

Xwriter

December 1855

Someday my children will find these diaries and wonder at my ramblings. Perhaps I should burn them, for what I'm about to write should never come to light. But, I cannot contain myself - I am filled with anxiousness and very troubled over Nathan's latest action.

He has had his solicitor replace Aaron's name on the betrothal contract with his second son's. It has been over 10 years since Andrew (called Jay) left Collingswood. He has not been seen nor heard from in all those years. Nathan worries that he might be dead, but refuses to believe it. Instead, he wants to make sure that a promise he's made to Tina is kept. Why he thinks Jay will honor the contract is beyond me.

I think that his grief over Aaron's loss is speaking and hope that once he has a chance to think it all through, he will change his mind. Until then, I am still worried about him.
    Denise Patrick

Blog Website

Awards Showcase

March 1856

Felicia is upset with me these days. I have told her she should not look upon Ella with approval and have forbidden her to visit that young woman and her new baby boy. It has been a difficult month since the infant was born at the end of January, and I'm certain Felicia has disobeyed me more than once.

She is so young to be so attached to this child, but I can tell that her stubbornness will eventually cause her grief. I will pray that it is not lasting.
    Denise Patrick

Blog Website

Awards Showcase

April 1856

I wish Nona were here. She would have some advice for what I should do. I have spoken to Nathan regarding my uneasiness around Aaron's friend, Mr. Milton. My fears have fallen on deaf ears and now, Nathan has allowed him to move into rooms in the house. I do not like it.

I did not object when Nathan allowed him to continue on as steward after Aaron's death, but I do not like him in the house with my daughters. Nathan has said there is nothing to worry about, and has given him rooms in a completely different wing, but that has not mollified me in the least.

I have a bad feeling that we are not finished with tragedy in this house.
    Denise Patrick

Blog Website

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345