Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Untitled Time Travel Paranormal Romance

Okay folks...It's Coffee Write Time: ! Here is the first line... now go!

Helen shook her head and opened her eyes only to find herself in the center of a battlefield surrounded by kilted warriors.
    Catherine Bybee
    New York Times & USA Today
    Bestselling Author
    Highland Shifter ~ Available Now
    Married by Monday ~ Available Now
    Wife by Wednesday ~ Available Now
    What would you do for ten million dollars?
    Reading: Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
    Just Finished Reading: Office Affair by Jess Dee
    TBR: 15

Awards Showcase

Most of the men were fighting, their skills impressive to anyone who didn't know how to wield a sword. However, there were other men on the outskirt, just waiting for their opportunity to strike.

How had she managed to get here, she wondered, as she looked around. She was somewhere she'd definitely never been before.

The last thing she remembered was holding an ancient artifact one of her clients had given her. She'd been studying it, trying to decipher where it had come from and how much it would be worth to her client as a collector of fine art. The artifact in her hand had been a sword, one she'd never seen before. It was beautiful, crafted with such magnificent she didn't want to give it back. But she had to. It wasn't hers.

Helen glanced down, only to find the sword still in her possession. How did she still have it? That wasn't usually the case when she was on the hunt for something since she was so good at finding things. But what had led her here of all places? Maybe, just maybe, she was supposed to discover the person who had once owned the sword and give it back.

Yet, just before she could think anymore of it, a voice cut in on her train of thought.

"Aye lass, how in earth did ye get here?" The voice was sexy, and nothing she'd ever heard before. A shiver of delight coursed through her body as she looked up at the gorgeous blonde before her. He had to be at least two hundred pounds of muscle, which was a little intimidating if Helen did think so herself. "And just what are ye doing with mi sword?"

Oh Mary mother of all that's kilted.

Helen sucked in her lower lip and let her gaze linger over this sculpted man's amazing body. "Your sword?" she mumbled.

"Aye." the man's gaze shot over his shoulder with the battle cry of one of the other men on the field. "You're not safe here, lass." He reached out and grasped her arm. His touch sent shivers down her spine and awarness all over her body.

Helen had no choice but to follow him out of harms way.
    Catherine Bybee
    Bestselling Author

Awards Showcase

She followed him into the darkened woods, although it probably wasn't her safest option.

"Just where are we going?" Helen asked, suddenly not so thrilled with her current predicament of being trapped with a sexy man that bought forth desires she'd buried deep since her last disastrous relationship.

"I'm getting ye out of here for now, so ye are not caught among this fight that ye have no business being dragged into."

"And what exactly is the fight about?" Helen enquired, her interest piqued because she'd never seen such rigorous fighting before. In fact, she'd never even seen a fight before. Not a kickboxing fight, nevermind a sword fight with a bunch of sweaty, heavy-muscled men wearing a bunch of kilts. It wasn't even something one would see on television all that much.

"Nothing to worry ye pretty little self over, sweetheart."

"Well if you're not going to tell me what the fight is over, then at least tell me your name."

"Simon." He told her, as he turned to face her. She could barely see him amongst the dark, except for his pearly whites flashing at her beyond his dazzling smile. "And now that ye know, just what is your name and where did you come from?"

At first she didn't answer because she was afraid to. What if she couldn't get back to her time? Besides, the clothes she sported definitely pronounced that she didn't belong in this time.

Simon's thumb circled the top of her hand, comforting her in way she'd never felt before. There was no way she couldn't spill her secrets now, so she told him the truth. And nothing but the truth.

"My name is Helen. As to where I came from that's a good question because I don't even know what time zone I'm in."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean what year is it?"

"1645 and ye are in Scotland."

Awards Showcase

Helen gasped in shock. How could she have possibly ended up in a different country, let alone another century? Things like that weren't possible without a time machine or an aeroplane. Or so she'd previously thought until now because it had apparently happened to her.

She looked at the battle beyond, and then back to Simon for answers. Yet before Helen could summon words that would make sense, Simon spoke. His sexy voice reassuring her that everything was going to be okay.

"There is something I need to ask ye though, lass, and that is where did you come from?"

"New York City, USA. The year 2012."

Simon raised a blonde brow in surprise. He only knew of a few select people that had his time-travelling abilities. And those few people also had other special abilities like his of being able to turn into any animal he chose or something just as extraordinary. So how had this beautiful woman come to be standing before him? Did she possess similar abilities to him?

He studied her for several moments. There was definitely something about her that was different, yet he couldn't figure what that something was. Though if he had to hazard a guess it had something to do with why she was holding his sword.

"You don't think I'm crazy," Helen asked.

"Nay, lass. Your clothes told me ye weren't from this time. However, if you aim to keep your head upon your delicate shoulders I wouldn't tell anyone else what ye just told me."

Helen's eyes grew wide. "Why?"

"I don't think ye want to be branded a witch. Surley ye know what we do to witches."

Simon noticed her swollowing hard and picking out her words more carefully.

"You...you don't think I'm a witch, do you?"
    Catherine Bybee
    Bestselling Author

Awards Showcase

He shrugged, denying her of his real answer and allowing her to stew until the right time came and he had to tell her the truth of what she was. Because clearly she didn't have a clue that she was a druid and very good at finding objects. In this case, the owner to the sword she was holding.

"Well I'm not, you know, a witch." Well at least, she didn't think she was. She didn't possess any special talents besides finding objects easily and that wasn't exactly magic. Besides, if she was a witch she'd wish she could do something cool like move things with her mind or freeze time. That would be a treat just to put some spice into life and shake things up a little.

"I know lass." Simon said, tugging a strand of her chocolate brown hair that had escaped from her ponytail. "Just having a little fun with ye to keep ye guessing of what I thought."

She stood with hands on hips, and glared at him again. She hated that she wanted to know what he thought of her and it so wasn't like her. Normally, she just went about her day with not a care in the world. So why should today be any different?

Just Finished Reading: Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews
    TBR: Lots!

Awards Showcase

A hollering man appeared from behind them, swinging his sword, intent written plainly on his face. Simon parried the first blow and thrust her behind him in one smooth move. She went flying, hitting the hard ground with her arse. Eye on the swords, she scrambled backward, doing a good impression of a crab. This was no theme park. That man wanted to kill them.

"Ye try to hide behind a woman's skirts," the attacker taunted. He swung his sword, thrusting, parrying. The sword whistled past Simon's head, knicked his ear.

Like a maddened bull, Simon ignored the blood and forced the other man back, the sword swinging, whistling, jabbing.

Helen gasped, squeezing her body under a bush. She might covet the man's sword, but she didn't want it covered with blood.
    Are you up to PAR?
    Provocative. Adventurous. Risque.
    http://www.ShelleyMunro.com

Awards Showcase

Then again, she may have no choice. The other man was strong, his movements powerful as he fought against Simon. In fact, as she watched on she noted they weren't evenly matched. Simon was getting his butt kicked.

Weighing her options whether she should help Simon or not, Helen stayed where she was in hiding. If she got hurt, he'd never forgive himself. That much she knew. But she couldn't deny herself the chance to help him, the chance to prove she could fight just as well as any man, having taken fencing lessons at her local recreational centre.

Yet still she continued to watch, rivetted by both men's sword fighting techniques. Where Simon was all about getting the upper hand on his opponent, the other man was willing to give it to him before turning his misfortune around. Which was likely to happen any moment now if Helen didn't do something to prevent it.

She stepped forward from behind the bush, moving closer towards the men. Her footsteps so soft that neither of the men noticed her on the move. However, as soon as she was close enough, Simon glanced her way and his eyes widened in surprise. Which in turn, also made the man he was fighting turn around and thrust his sword out at her.
    Helen ducked, the sword barely missing her chest and she slammed hard down on the ground, struggling to breath.

"Now I have ye lass." The man told her, but not before she thrust the sword she held in her hand towards his nether region and pressed it there as hard as she could without doing any permanent damage.

"That's what you think."

Color drained from her attacker's face.

Simon produced a Durk from nowhere and pressed it against the man's neck. "Drop your sword."

Their enemy had little choice and did as Simon told him. Only when the man's weapons were tossed far away and Simon bound the man's hands, did Helen take a deep breath.

"Gather his weapon, lass, and follow me."
    Catherine Bybee
    Bestselling Author
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast