Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

As far as cutting to the chase. Yeah, if you mean wordinesss, blah, blah, blah. Query letters are only one page. Every word counts. But it doesn't just count in a give-em-the-facts way. It counts in letting your voice shine through, letting them know who you are. letting them know you know WHO they are. In other words, you're not just a piece of meat and neither are they. This is communication! (-:

Is a query to an electronic publisher different. The short answer is no. But it's also yes. Because every query letter, though there are some basics, must be different. Because each publisher must be addressed as people. And you must second guess what it is they want to hear from you--or at least how you should address the basics to reach them at a gut level. Most rejections I've seen from my clients and students say something like "I just wasn't passionate enough about your book." Well, maybe the query letter didn't grab them early enough. But they may not be passionate enough about the query letter to even look at the book. They would never say that, though.

Next tip, all! Did you know that "awesome" is a four-letter word? Avoid judging your own brilliant novel or feature/interview idea! That's there job. While you're at it, take a look at all your adjectives. They really, really, really can be overdone. (-:

OK. I admit it. I've been to the beauty parlor. It's a losing game--but still essential! So, tip today. Get your hair done before a speaking gig to promote your book. Just kidding. Let's see. One of the techniques I like for setting a query letter apart from the pack is to start with a quote--one from your book or a quote from someone else. Or a fact.

And don't just start it in the first paragraph. Put it into italics--and indet it on both sides. My favorite use of this is a quote from my own book that actually gives the agent a hint of my voice. But you'll have to choose something that's perfectly cut out for your title, your personality, YOUR voice. (-;
    TBR: lots

Awards Showcase

Thanks for today's tips, Carolyn. I'm looking forward to posting my sample query tomorrow. Please don't hesitate to tell me what's wrong with it. That's why I'm in this seminar!

Mary Anne, please be sure to put your query letter in the query letter thread. I'll try to get to it this afternoon.

Another quick tip for Thursday:

The above question from Stephen made me think that I should remind you that a query letter should have a bit (a sentence, a short paragraph?) in it about the author's platform. You want to convince the agent/publisher/editor/talk show host that you are pro--even if this is your first book. So think what have you done? Other publishing? Awards? Taken classes? Gotten a credential? Attended writers conferences? You want your contact to see that you are serious about not only your craft but about the marketing of your book.

Friday's tip: Here is one of the resources I list in my book The Frugal Editor (www.budurl.com/TheFrugalEditor). It is a blog that comes straight from an agent, an agent who pulls no punches. It is http://pubrants.blogspot.com.

Final Tip: One of my favorite ways to write a pitch for a book in a query letter is to use the old formula used by screenwriters for loglines or movie posters. It goes, "When xxxsmething happens, then xxxx something else happens." One can eliaborate a tad, of course. But it's a way to pique the interest of an agent and still have room for the other stuff that needs to go into a query. Oh, strong verbs! (-:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12