Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Reading: Eugenia Price's "Bright Captivity"
    Just Finished Reading: Gosh! I can't remember. Been on "Bright Captivity" forever, it seems.
    TBR: 4

Awards Showcase

Yeah I'm a day late. Can I still join in the class?

Kara, this sounds interesting. I'd love to know more.
    Quote Originally Posted by karalennox View Post
    Lesson#1--Introduction Afew years ago, if I'd done a workshop on "mind-body connection," manyof you might have dismissed it as "woo-woo stuff." You know what I mean. Paranormal, metaphysical, woo-woo. After all, many of the books written on thesubject are found in THAT section of the bookstore, the one that lumpswitchcraft, Tarot cards and alien abductions with meditation and visualization.>> Butin recent years, even mainstream medical physicians (even Dr. Oz!) agree thatthe mind-body connection is far more extensive than anyone had guessed. Consider the following statements:>> Type-Abehavior, typified by aggressiveness and hostility, has been linked toincreased risk of heart attack.>> Emotionalstress can raise your blood pressure and contribute to the formation of stomachulcers.>> Biofeedbackand meditation can lower blood pressure, lower oxygen consumption, slow heartbeat and respiration, and lower blood lactate--which is connected to anxiety.>> Fearor excitement lead to the release of adrenaline in the body, causing the fightor flight mechanism to come into play--and causing a certain amount ofpleasure.>> Pantingduring childbirth relieves pain (for some people, anyway!).>> Ahypnotized subject can produce welts on the skin simulating burns, when theyhaven't been burned.>> Ratsand mice have been conditioned to enhance or suppress their immune systems.>> Theplacebo effect can relieve pain and alleviate other symptoms of disease.>> Chocolateelevates mood, especially for women.>> ********>> Mostof you will probably agree that some or all of the above statements aretrue. All have been shown to be trueeither through clinical studies or under laboratory conditions, so thedocumentation is clear: mind and body are connected; your thoughts can directlyaffect your body and vice-versa.>> Whilethe mechanisms that make this true aren't always crystal clear--medical sciencestill hasn't explained why acupuncture works, even while they acknowledge thatit does work--researchers are learning more about this area of scienceall the time. One very active area ofresearch is studying neurotransmitters, the brain's messengers to thebody. Neurotransmitters, which includehormones, regulate everything from sexual desire to sleep patterns, appetiteand mood. Depression, addictions, PMS,insomnia and even chocolate cravings have a physical basis in our chemistry. There is even a chemical reason why we "freeze"when something grabs our attention.>> Butrather than getting any deeper into the scientific aspects--and I couldn't,anyway--what I want to talk about is the implications these scientific findingshave for us as writers.>> Themind/body connection probably has more relevance for creative artists,including writers, than for the average person.>> Whatyou do to your body affects how you think, how you create, and how you feelabout what you've created. And how youdirect your mind, what you allow yourself to focus on, has a profound effect onyour body.>> Tomorrowwe'll start getting into the specifics. Meanwhile, feel free to introduce yourself, and if you have anything to add to the topics as I address them--studies you've read about or personal experiences--feel free to share. I am not an expert on this subject, just a very interested student.>>
    Just Finished Reading: Gosh! I can't remember. Been on "Bright Captivity" forever, it seems.

Awards Showcase

Yeah Hi, I'm Laurean Brooks. (A day late, but I'll catch up.)

Hi Kara. Thank you for teaching this class. I can't wait to learn everything.

I'm a day late, too. I'll read the other posts and catch up. I am excited about this class. BTW I'm an alternative medicine addict. I want to learn all I can about mind/body connection--especially foods/prayer & meditation, and the right (write??) time of day. Sheesh! I want to know it all! Lol.

Laurean, this is the kind of class where you can jump in any time. There aren't too many posts yet so you can just catch up, and there's no "homework." So, welcome!

Kara

Awards Showcase

Yeah Kara, Have I missed anything important?

Kara, thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to help us struggling writers.

Have I missed anything important, or are we still on introductions? Since I'll be off and online intermittently during the course(trying to beat a self-inflicted deadline), do you know when would be a good time to check back for your next lesson? I don't want to miss a thing!

Have a beautiful and blessed day.

Laurean, I have posted Lessons 1-3. Each is in a separate thread, so you have to go back to the workshop home here: http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/boa...lay.php?f=1849 to see them. (Remember to scroll down to find the list of threads).

Kayelle--
    I was just going back looking at the posts and realized I'd missed one of yours, where you talked about Dr Oz, diabetes, losing weight, etc. and I did want to respond--I feel the same way you do about Dr. Oz. I like the show sort of because he does only present information that is the result of legitimate scientific study, and he is a medical doctor with an open mind. But the problem is, even legitimate, well-constructed medical studies can contradict each other.

I applaud you on your weight loss and changing your lifestyle. About 10 years ago I lost about 25 lbs. I kept 20 of that off for a long time. Then last year I had an issue with my feet that required me to be extremely sedentary for a period of several months, and I, too, gained 10 pounds--just like that! I love to eat and the only way I stay slim is with lots of exercise. Now my feet are better and I am walking/bike-riding again but the weight is being very stubborn. Grrr.

Kara
    Reading: doing a beta for a friend
    Just Finished Reading: in the middle of an Ellis Peters
    TBR: 1

Awards Showcase

I am Daryl Devore, a published author. The mind and body connection figures into my writing. The placebo effect is well known and I am a classic example of the mood elevating effects of chocolate.
    When I am writing, if it is a sad chapter, I usually have to do something fun after to cheer myself back up. After spending hours trying to find the nuances of someone's pain, digging myself out of that can be difficult. - Chocolate helps. Looking forward to more discussions.

Hi, Daryl! Welcome. you must be psychic, because the effect writing has on our immediate mood is exactly what I'm talking about today! Be sure to chime in on that thread if you have any pointers.

Kara
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123