Typing Time Travel Romances - History & Research

Some people may think that because a Time Travel Romance combines paranormal with historic romance that you don't need to research, wrong. Research is a very important aspect of a Time Travel.
    Once you have the era that your character lands in it is vital to get out those history books and see what was going on back then. You will want to discover what the politics were at this time. When I say politics I mean just that. Say your heroine lands in Kansas, you would need to discover the year and then look up and see what is happening. Current events of say 1867 would do. The Civil War would probably play a part in your story, maybe the hero was a soldier. Once you establish the time frame you need to know what the ladies were wearing. Check out the fashion for the era for both your characters.
    Fashion then leads to lifestyles, what kind of furniture, curtains, house styles and appliances (non-electric).
    As you can see the list can grow very quickly and it doesn't stop
    Once you gather all the information you think you will need, then you can weave these little tidbits into the story. The word "weave" is the trick, you want the history to blend into the story, not become the focus.
    I hope you were able to get STARGAZER and when you are reading it pay attention to how the history weaves throughout the story.
    If you have any questions ask away, I'm here today and will check back.
    Jewel

You are right.. As a reader, I have found very few authors being able to pull off the time-travel, as you said, weaving and blending in the story instead of becoming the focus..

Its take right amount of research and creativity to blend..

I haven't got STARGAZER but am adding it to my TBR pile..

Best of luck..

Hi Jeriha,
    Lovely name BTW, I always see names
    I think the blending is something an author needs to learn. At first it is difficult to know how much is too much. I always try to look at the story how a reader would see it. The characters, including the secondary characters, can show the readers how life is through actions and dialogue. It is also a lot of fun to see how our time traveler handles the lack of everything modern
    Be sure to mark your calendar I will be giving away DREAM LOVER May 26th through May 30th at Kindle.
    Jewel

xreading

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Adams View Post
    Hi Jeriha,
    Lovely name BTW, I always see names
    I think the blending is something an author needs to learn. At first it is difficult to know how much is too much. I always try to look at the story how a reader would see it. The characters, including the secondary characters, can show the readers how life is through actions and dialogue. It is also a lot of fun to see how our time traveler handles the lack of everything modern
    Be sure to mark your calendar I will be giving away DREAM LOVER May 26th through May 30th at Kindle.
    Jewel

Awww.. Thanks *hugs*

Its a made up name.. Long story behind it..

True.. Hope to read your book soon..

Unfortunately, if DREAM LOVER will be given on Amazon, I won't qualify.. Amazon doesn't offer kindle books in my country. :/

Just Finished Reading: Chosen by Denise Grover Swank and Chosen by Sin by Virna DePaul
    TBR: 148

Awards Showcase

I always find it fascinating how much research and work goes into writing... I appreciate it tremendously... I may have gotten stargazer from kindle this weekend if not will add it to my tbb pile. Thanks so much for all the work you do

Crystal
    faerymom@ymail.com

Hi Crystal,
    Research is so important. In a Time Travel Romance it is the same for me as if I were writing a historical romance, just the heroine from the future gives me a more freedom in the adventure.
    Jewel