Reading: nothing at the moment- except critiq. on line stories

Awards Showcase

xreading How to Make Your Own Book Trailer

How To Make A Book Trailer
    By Linda Hadaway
    Part 1
    >>
    >>
    If you have never made a book trailer ( video)- the first thing to do is to take a deep breathe and exhale slowly. (I’ll wait.)
    The next few questions are important-
    >>
    Do you want to make one video only? Or…do you want to continue to write books and make your own book trailer for each one? The reason for the question is—the first one you make will take an enormous amount of time….the next ones will go much quicker. Think of it as an investment- of time, if nothing else. If you’re already a writer- your brain is already full of creative energy…the trailer- will use different aspects of that creativity. I found it was more like art…Don’t take me wrong- I’m not an artist! But I loved creating my trailers!
    >>
    The next two things you’ll need to dive into- is…what kind of a program you want? Keep in mind, you may want to switch to a different program later on. There are free ones out there: Windows Movie Maker and Photo Story 3, to name a couple. I started with a free one and quickly moved to a paid program. Why? You ask? Because I wanted more guns and whistles. I wanted more options…more fun things to play with.
    >>
    I would suggest to look at different programs- play a little- watch their tutorials. However, you may want to begin the rest of the process- as it’s difficult to really get a grasp of it all until you are actually making the video. It will take time to learn that program and expect to run into some frustrations- until you’ve had some practice.
    >>
    ..step back a step. What do you want your video to portray? I assume you want a audience to watch it and then run out to buy your novel. If so- get a note book- use an average of 10 pages and write on each page what will tell the reader-about your book- and excite them. Along with each written sentence—or –statement- what kind of a picture comes to mind? Jot down an idea- or several. If you aren’t sure what you want for a certain page- skip to the next one…and go back to it later.
    >>
    Next week we will get more into the “meat” of the trailer. Your assignment is to watch several trailers- see what you like- and check out programs.
    >>
    ( www.lindahadaway.com) check my videos first- if you’d like
    >>

Default Images in Book Trailers

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the info. When you are creating your book trailers, do you solely use images from your digital camera or are you able to use images that you find on the web? Do you know what are the copyright laws in this area or where to find out what they are?

I look forward to your next installment on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by lindajo View Post
    How To Make A Book Trailer
    By Linda Hadaway
    Part 1
    >>
    >>
    If you have never made a book trailer ( video)- the first thing to do is to take a deep breathe and exhale slowly. (I’ll wait.)
    The next few questions are important-
    >>
    Do you want to make one video only? Or…do you want to continue to write books and make your own book trailer for each one? The reason for the question is—the first one you make will take an enormous amount of time….the next ones will go much quicker. Think of it as an investment- of time, if nothing else. If you’re already a writer- your brain is already full of creative energy…the trailer- will use different aspects of that creativity. I found it was more like art…Don’t take me wrong- I’m not an artist! But I loved creating my trailers!
    >>
    The next two things you’ll need to dive into- is…what kind of a program you want? Keep in mind, you may want to switch to a different program later on. There are free ones out there: Windows Movie Maker and Photo Story 3, to name a couple. I started with a free one and quickly moved to a paid program. Why? You ask? Because I wanted more guns and whistles. I wanted more options…more fun things to play with.
    >>
    I would suggest to look at different programs- play a little- watch their tutorials. However, you may want to begin the rest of the process- as it’s difficult to really get a grasp of it all until you are actually making the video. It will take time to learn that program and expect to run into some frustrations- until you’ve had some practice.
    >>
    ..step back a step. What do you want your video to portray? I assume you want a audience to watch it and then run out to buy your novel. If so- get a note book- use an average of 10 pages and write on each page what will tell the reader-about your book- and excite them. Along with each written sentence—or –statement- what kind of a picture comes to mind? Jot down an idea- or several. If you aren’t sure what you want for a certain page- skip to the next one…and go back to it later.
    >>
    Next week we will get more into the “meat” of the trailer. Your assignment is to watch several trailers- see what you like- and check out programs.
    >>
    ( www.lindahadaway.com) check my videos first- if you’d like
    >>
    Reading: nothing at the moment- except critiq. on line stories

Awards Showcase

Susan - mostly I use pictures that I have bought from photo sites- and each site has their own license..which is trying....to say the least...(what are they really saying???) For instance one site- I could use the picture for my book video *but couldn't use the same picture to put on coffee cups for promotional purposes. I did email each company and tell them what I was doing and got the OKAY. I do NOT use any "free" pictures from Photo sites in my videos. I do not want to infringe on any copyright law.
    My husband takes great pictues and I have used a few of them- just depends what I want.
    * I just found out today that "book trailers" are copyrighted- more on that in next session, however I will try to use the phrase "book video" from now on. Thank for your questions.