Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Default Introduction and Welcome :-)

Hi all,

I'm ready to go. Are you?

This is a hands-on, interactive workshop. I'm going to show you a technique for adding suspense to your writing. Then you go and apply it to one of your scenes. If you send in your assignment, I'll critique the paragraph and offer suggestions how to make it even better.

This class is based on an excerpt from my book "Writing Scary Scenes" and on a lesson from my month-long class of the same name which starts on 1 October, so you get a taste of Rayne Hall's teaching and can see if you like the flavour. :-)

I'm using BritishEnglish. To the Americans among you, some of my words and spellingsmay look odd, but I'm sure we'll be able to communicate.

To get started, what would really help me is knowing what genres (and subgenres) you write, and what level writer (beginner, intermediate, advanced, professional) you consider yourself. You don't need to tell me if you don't want to; this is just to give me an idea what kind of folk I have in my today. (I write mild horror and epic fantasy and I consider myself a professional.) ;-)

Rayne

Hello Rayne,
    I have written epic fantasy and now I'm writing paranormal/urban fantasy. I consider myself a beginner but an eager and fast learner. And I must say I'm really glad to have this chance of learning from you.
    Dragon

Awards Showcase

Hi Dragon,
    Oh, good, someone is replying! :-)
    It's good to have you here. You're not a raw beginner though, are you? I think you've done quite a bit of writing already (though of course there's still much to learn)
    Rayne
    Reading: Run the Risk, Lori Foster
    Just Finished Reading: Angel of Darkness, Cynthia Eden

Awards Showcase

Hi, I'm Cheryl Yeko, and I guess I'm a professional... I write romantic suspense, but I'm also working on a paranormal manuscript, that I hope to develop into a series.

My debut novel, Protecting Rose, won the 2012 Gayle Wilson Award and my 2nd novel, A Man to Trust, is due out in October.

My 3rd novel (yet untitled, though I'm leaning toward, Abducting Casey, is almost complete. I'm working on the ending scene and want it to be more kick-butt and grittier than my prior novel endings, which were sweeter. So, I'm here to learn!

Thank you for this class, I'm looking forward to it.

-Cheryl
    TBR: ????

Awards Showcase

Hi Rayne,
    Thanks for being here.
    I write a lot of romantic suspense, some with a lighter feel to it. I've started writing a bit of contemporary romance, too.
    I've been writing for ten years, can always learn something new, and consider myself a professional.
    Bethanne Strasser
    For Love or Duty, available now
    Letters from Home, coming in November from Entangled Publishing

Awards Showcase

Hi Bethanne,

Professional authors who seek to learn more are my favourite kind of people to work with.

I think that the more highly skilled we become at the writing craft, the better we understand the potential for further improvement.

I still remember years ago when I was a beginner, thinking my writing was so good that I couldn't improve it further. I actually turned down a professional author's offer of mentorship, because I thought with my wonderful talent I didn't need to learn anything. What an obnoxious arrogant git I must have been! :-D

Rayne
    TBR: ????

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne Hall View Post
    I actually turned down a professional author's offer of mentorship, because I thought with my wonderful talent I didn't need to learn anything. Rayne
    Ha. I too thought I was wonderful in the early days...
    Bethanne Strasser
    For Love or Duty, available now
    Letters from Home, coming in November from Entangled Publishing

Awards Showcase

Good morning Rayne (or afternoon for you by now)

I'm very much a beginner but learning as fast as I can. My subgenre of choice is historical romance. However, I like a little suspense in my stories as well. Nothing too creepy that'll keep me up at night but enough to make me wonder.

I look forward to learning from you in this mini-workshop.

Thanks,
    Emmly

Awards Showcase

Hi Emmly,

Yes, it's afternoon here in England. I'm probably ahead of most of you. :-)

Suspense works well in almost all (probably all) forms of fiction, whether they involve scary bits or not. The more suspense you can create, the better, especially if you can use a variety of techniques to achieve this.

The technique I've chosen for this workshop is superbly suited to historical fiction, so I look forward to reading what you come up with.

Rayne
    Reading: Banshee Charmer, Tiffany Allee
    Just Finished Reading: Rock Chick 1-4 (damn books!)
    TBR: 48621

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Marika View Post
    Hi! I write under the pen name Harlie Williams.
    *waves*
    Hi Marika! =) Fancy seeing you here.

The Social Media Esssplosion
    *NOW AVAILABLE*
    Ellora's Cave
    UNCROSS YOUR HEART
    Entangled ASHES AND WINE
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    *coming soon*
    Christmas Novel TBN - Ellora's Cave (Dec 2012)
    Suspended - Loose Id (Jan 2013)
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast