My son comments all the time that I’m old-fashioned. He’s right. I have a cell phone. It takes pictures and videos. However, I have no clue how to do either. The only time I have the cell phone on is when he is in school and I’m not home. Or when I’m out on the weekend and need to call mom or my sister for something. But, at least, my cell phone isn’t a relic like the hubby’s. His has voice mail and texting and that’s about it.

What does this have to do with writing, you might ask? Recently, my son made another comment on how I have sticky notes scattered around the house. And how, when away from home, I’ll jot down something on a napkin. “Mom,” he said, “you can use your phone for that? See, here’s a feature that lets you write notes and reminds you of them.” Well, that’s wonderful, I say while rolling my eyes. But I won’t use this device on the phone. I never have the phone on, and I’m not in the habit of checking the phone for notes. I like my sticky notes. And my napkins. They’re better reminders of the changes I need to incorporate into a story. Items needed at the market. When the fix-it man is coming to repair something. Someone’s birthday. And a slew of other things I need to accomplish during the week, because they are on my desk or kitchen counter, in plain sight. The cell phone hides in my purse.

My dad would probably laugh at my old-fashioned ways. When I was a teenager, he used to complain I was always on the phone. Now, to have one that does more than let you talk to a person, and not use it as constantly and consistently as I did back then, he’d shake his head in wonder. But that’s all right. I still remember his tales of walking to and from school, in the rain, snow and heat, up hills both ways. It brings to mind how I used to complain about having to stand outside and wait for the school bus. And as I reminisce now, I look forward to the day when my son’s children ask, “What the heck is an Xbox?” And then, I’ll pull out a sticky note or a napkin so he can draw them a picture.