Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Reading: Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Justice and Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love.

Awards Showcase

Default Books that influenced the writing of Gothic

I am a great big fan of romance. When I was still in high school, I used to borrow Mills & Boon books from the library.

As I got older, I started reading vampire novels. L. J. Smith was a big part of that discovery, and The Vampire Diaries today is still a show that I very much enjoy watching.

The Sookie Stackhouse novels and TV show is probably the next logical step on that list, along with the well known Laurell K. Hamilton books.

However, if I were to have to choose a favourite series of paranormal romance, I think I'd have to go with Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thomson series. So far, there are 6 books in that series (or maybe they are only the ones I have on my shelf so far.... are there any more, I wonder?) and all I know is that, whenever I finish one, I can't wait to get onto the next.

Patricia's books just seem so vivid. The characters, the plots, I definitely have the feeling that I am standing right within the world she has created. I love the friends she has, and the ways that those friends complicate her life. The way that each single book plot wraps up, while still leaving the reader wanting to know what happens next on the overarching plot.

Most of all, I like that someone else is writing those books, so that I don't have to figure out what to write next!

When I'm thinking of my novel Gothic, I think this is the series of books that I would like to be most like. There is a thread that's going to run through these books: Dahlia wants a normal life. The story of all the books is going to tell how she gets that. But, of course, there's going to be hurdles she's going to meet along the way, otherwise the book would be a single stand alone book. I don't plan to be writing Dahlia Noone books forever, but I reckon 6 or 8 of them is a good estimate at this point.

Obviously, if you're here, you have a passing interest in the romance or the paranormal romance novels. I'm curious to see what some of your favourites are. I'm constantly looking for new books to read.

Nicole.
    nicole-d-fergusson.blogspot.com.au
    Reading: The Forgotten Prince by Kelex
    Just Finished Reading: Living with Syn by A.C. Katt
    TBR: 20+

Awards Showcase

Nikki!! (yeah, okay so I had to squeal that out! LOL)

I'm a bit late my time to be on here, but I wanted to pop in and give my support. I've read Nikki's or Nicole's latest book Gothic and I can attest to the fact that it is a FANTASTIC book. If you love vampires and werewolves, like for your relationships that you're reading to be a tad complicated then you'll love Gothic. I know I did.

Regina (waves)
    A Gift From Home http://amzn.to/15L2sxd
    Alien Deceptions http://bit.ly/adquMt
    No Place to Run http://amzn.to/1dDWaXH
    Destiny's Choices http://bit.ly/YXE4YM
    Lilly's Choice http://amzn.to/Qjx9oi
    How to Create Book Covers for Free...and save your hard earned money! http://amzn.to/12VXfV8
    Homecoming Coming Soon
    Lilly's Christmas Surprise Coming Soon!
    Frost, Flame and Flower Coming Soon!
    Hot for Teacher Coming Soon!
    Alien Dreams Coming Soon!

The danger...The excitement...The romance....
    Enter the worlds of Regina Paul
    www.reginapaul.com
    Reading: Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Justice and Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love.

Awards Showcase

Oh wow, there are so many wonderful responses to this thread! Thank you, so many of you, for taking the time to answer! I absolutely loved pouring over these comments.

Regina, you are an absolute darling. Thank you so much for the high praise!

Danielle, I have actually thought about picking up and reading Karen Marie Moning's books when I've seen them on shelves before, but I haven't heard much about them. You said that they were your favourites? How come? I would love to know

Your mention of Gargoyles, Denyse, makes me think of that old cartoon that used to be on when I was a kid, starring Goliath the Gargoyle. I don't think I've seen or read anything since then that had gargoyles as the focus. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely be checking it out. And I very much hope you enjoy Gothic, too. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Haha! I knew that I would catch another Vampire Diaries fan here, Karen! Thank you for the compliment as well, I have definitely tried to do something different with this genre.

Delane, it's amazing, isn't it, how easily people remember their first vampire novels? I'm hearing about so many new authors I hadn't thought to look at before today. Will definitely have a look at
    Dark Prince by Christine Feehan and all the others! I had no idea I was so behind :D

Ah, Interview with the Vampire.
    AZGaye, I'm so glad that you mentioned that. I completely forgot but, of course, this was another one of my early vampire novels! I remember sitting in the back seat of my parents' car and reading it on the way home from a beach trip one summer. Her books are so dark and evocative. I can only hope to play in the same sandpit!

Keep your replies coming! I will make the best efforts to respond to all of them.

Excerpts are coming up next!

Nicole.
    Reading: Too many to count Gena Showalter, Roxanne St. Claire, Jennifer Armintrout
    TBR: 10000

Awards Showcase

Hello Nicole!

I love paranormal and fantasy! I too like Patricia Briggs, Charlaine Harris, and Laurell K. Hamilton. I also love Sherrilyn Kenyon, Lara Adrian, Keri Arthur, Gena Showalter, and Kresley Cole.

One of the Urban Fantasy series that I really enjoy is Karen Marie Moning's series that features Dani. There are probably a dozen and a half more that I could name off but I am afraid it would blow up my computer. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole D Fergusson View Post
    I am a great big fan of romance. When I was still in high school, I used to borrow Mills & Boon books from the library.

As I got older, I started reading vampire novels. L. J. Smith was a big part of that discovery, and The Vampire Diaries today is still a show that I very much enjoy watching.

The Sookie Stackhouse novels and TV show is probably the next logical step on that list, along with the well known Laurell K. Hamilton books.

However, if I were to have to choose a favourite series of paranormal romance, I think I'd have to go with Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thomson series. So far, there are 6 books in that series (or maybe they are only the ones I have on my shelf so far.... are there any more, I wonder?) and all I know is that, whenever I finish one, I can't wait to get onto the next.

Patricia's books just seem so vivid. The characters, the plots, I definitely have the feeling that I am standing right within the world she has created. I love the friends she has, and the ways that those friends complicate her life. The way that each single book plot wraps up, while still leaving the reader wanting to know what happens next on the overarching plot.

Most of all, I like that someone else is writing those books, so that I don't have to figure out what to write next!

When I'm thinking of my novel Gothic, I think this is the series of books that I would like to be most like. There is a thread that's going to run through these books: Dahlia wants a normal life. The story of all the books is going to tell how she gets that. But, of course, there's going to be hurdles she's going to meet along the way, otherwise the book would be a single stand alone book. I don't plan to be writing Dahlia Noone books forever, but I reckon 6 or 8 of them is a good estimate at this point.

Obviously, if you're here, you have a passing interest in the romance or the paranormal romance novels. I'm curious to see what some of your favourites are. I'm constantly looking for new books to read.

Nicole.

Default Gothics and Vampires

This sounds like a yummy book! I cut reading teeth a very long time ago on some of the traditional gothics --"It was a dark and stormy night..." you know LOL and then read Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire and some of Maggie Shayne's (sp?) for the Silhouette lines and went wow, these are totally cool! I am a huge wolf fan so the werewolves are a natural LOL. I will definitely check this out! Love to find new authors and new mixes of genres and such. There is so much wonderful diversity out there now! And that is fabulous!!
    AZGaye
    Reading: The Eternal Guardians by Elisabeth Naughton
    Just Finished Reading: Eternal Echoes by John O'Donahue
    TBR: 100+

Awards Showcase

My favourites seem to depend largely on mood, but I am a die-hard fan of Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series, and JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series to a lesser degree. I've only recently discovered an author named Zandria Munson who writes gargoyles, and so far I am madly in love with her books. There are so many really superb authors now who are bringing new life to this genre with so much creativity and unusual twists. Gothic sounds wonderful, and I will definitely be checking it out - and soon!!

Default My First Vampire Books

My very first vampire novel was Dark Prince by Christine Feehan. I fell in love with her characters and still follow the series today. I now follow so many paranormal authors but to name a few: Lora Leigh, Eve Langlais, Dana Marie Bell, J.S Scott and many others. I am always searching for new paranormal authors.

Delane
    Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance & More
    Reading: Cry No More by Linda Howard
    Just Finished Reading: Mind Hunter by John E. Douglas
    TBR: 1000

Awards Showcase

Default Love Vampire Diaries....

Hello Nicole! Your work sounds fabulous. So fun to come across the different styles of paranormal. I've enjoyed some of Maggie Shayne's stuff to. Edge of Twilight... Loved that one, 'specially. Sounds like you've got quite an interesting take with your characters too. fascinating.
    Karen Cote' ...Author
    Romance...It's Complicated
    www.karencote.tv
    Crime of Fashion...coming 2013
    Reading: Too many to count Gena Showalter, Roxanne St. Claire, Jennifer Armintrout
    TBR: 10000

Awards Showcase

Nicole,
    what I loved about Iced was the edginess, darkness, mysticism, and sexual tension that is strewn throughout the pages. In the book, Dani is 14 but u have to remember she has seen and done things most grown ups have never experienced. I have read Moning's Highlander series which I loved. I read her Fever series which I grew to love as well, but it took some time. I fell hard for her new series. I think it is because her writing has matured and grown since I first started reading her.

Awards Showcase

Hey Danielle,
    Thank you for that wonderful answer.
    I happen to be quite the fan of all those things, particularly sexual tension that doesn't get its immediate resolution. You can do the same with edginess as well. I have managed to pull the same villain through three books so far, which I notice just keeps rising the tension. One of my favourite things about the Briggs books were the fact that Mercy Thompson didn't choose the person she wanted to be in a relationship with at the end of the first book. It's a question that gets drawn out. And, again, tension benefits from that.

Nicole.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast