Hybrid View

Default How To Write A Romance Novel-More About Writig a Synopsis

Hope everyone’s enjoyed the first few days of spring. >>
    Today I’ll finish this free seminar with more tips onwriting a synopsis.>>
    I’ll begin with something related to a question Darcy postedand that’s when should you write a synopsis. Like everything writing related Idon’t think there are ‘rules’. It’s up to you. Sometimes I don’t write oneuntil after I’ve typed the period at the very end of the story. Other times I’llhave a very detailed one written before I sit down to write the first word. Idon’t think one way is any easier than the other and a lot depends on you andhow you like to write. However, there are some exceptions->>
    >>
    The Story is long orhas Suspense or Mystery Elements>>
    If you write stories in 70,000 word range, romanticsuspense, or one with lots of characters etc., than I think it’s wiser to writethe synopsis first so you can keep track of plot lines and who’s were, who’sbeen killed, set out clues etc.>>
    >>
    You Get Easily Lost>>
    Some writers think they have the whole story worked out butsuddenly they don’t know where it’s going or where the characters are goingnext and things come to a screaming halt. Some manuscripts even fall by thewayside so having a synopsis can help if you’re that sort of writer, or if youwork on a story that has you scratching your head about what to do next.>>
    >>
    And one thing I suggest in the synopsis workshop I teach isputting together an outline which can help with both the story and thesynopsis. Don’t give it too much thought but just write down everything youknow about your story and take it from there.>>
    >>
    A final thing I suggest is to make a template so you canjust type in the information with each story you create.>>
    >>
    Synopsis for (title of manuscript)>>
    Author name>>
    Pen name (if any)>>
    Contact information (always include this here as well asyour cover letter…you’d be surprised how often things get lost)>>
    Genre and sub-genre>>
    Setting>>
    Time Period>>
    Sensuality Level (optional)>>
    Word Count>>
    Tagline>>
    Blurb>>
    Synopsis->>
    >>
    It makes it easy for you and easy on the eyes for the personwho’s reading it, be it an editor or an agent. And you’ll see that I alsoinclude a tagline and blurb. Most writers have to come up with their own onesthese days so I figure you might as well include them with the synopsis to helpsell your story. >>
    >>
    >>
    Formatting yourSynopsis>>
    One last tip I have is to make sure that you have a spacebetween each paragraph in your synopsis. As these are single spaced, the shortbreaks make it easier on the reader’s eye. It also helps you proofread. Fontsize- I stick with 12 point and as there is no fast and hard rule on font typeI go with the most generic which seems to be Times Roman.>>
    >>
    Well, that’s about it for my formal posts. I hope you’veenjoyed this free seminar and that it’s been helpful in some way. Next weekI’ll be taking questions. Next Friday (March 29th) I’ll be selectingthe winners of the two giveaways. One winner will win a copy of my e-book Howto Write A Romance Novel. Another person a critique of their synopsis. All youneed to do is leave a comment telling me which one you’d like to win and whyand I’ll select two winners. Deadline is Thursday March 28th atMidnight Eastern.>>
    Have a good weekend.>>
    Reading: Furiously
    Just Finished Reading: The Golden Key Chronicles - A J Nuest
    TBR: Loads

Awards Showcase

Thanks so much for this course, Susie, I've really been enjoying it - and like most writers I find the synopsis very hard to write, so your tips and advice are much appreciated and I'm sure will help me with my next synopsis attempt!
    Lyn -
    HYWELA LYN
    S
    tarquest; Children Of The Mist; Dancing With Fate;
    Available from: The Wild Rose Press:
    My forum group at Coffeetime Romance
    Facebook
    http://www.hywelalyn.co.uk
    http://hywelalyn.blogspot.com

Awards Showcase

Hi Susie,
    I am hoping this is where I need to write to enter the contest. I would love to win a copy of your e-book.(How to write a romance novel). I love reading, especially romance. I have a dream of one day seeing my name in print and sharing my thoughts, my dreams and hopes with other people using characters I have created with love.
    I've been writing two years now, and I am still working on my first three books. I know it takes quite a bit of knowledge and time to be a success. I have come a long way on this journey, and I know the road winds forever. I think your book would be a valuable tool to use.
    You answered my question I asked about POV in a way that made me understand what I needed to do... and that is something no one else had been able to do.
    Thanx,
    Mairhi
    Reading: The Hunger Games
    TBR: 7

Awards Showcase

Hi Susan,

I, too have enjoyed your workshop! I would also love to win a copy of your book, How to Write a Romance Novel. I started writing four years ago and absolutely love it, but still struggle with many of the basics. Whether I win or not, the notes you posted have been extremely helpful. I've learned so much already.
    Many thanks and best to you!
    Reading: Furiously
    Just Finished Reading: The Golden Key Chronicles - A J Nuest
    TBR: Loads

Awards Showcase

Typing

Thanks again, Susie, I've really enjoyed this course and feel I have learnt a lot. I'd love to win a critique of my latest synopsis, as that is the aspect of novel writing I struggle with most.

I really appreciate all the helpful information.
    Lyn -
    HYWELA LYN
    S
    tarquest; Children Of The Mist; Dancing With Fate;
    Available from: The Wild Rose Press:
    My forum group at Coffeetime Romance
    Facebook
    http://www.hywelalyn.co.uk
    http://hywelalyn.blogspot.com