Reading: I'm on a weaving kick right now, so I'm reading a lot of weaving books.
    Just Finished Reading: WHAT A GIRL WANTS, by Selena Robins
    TBR: 1,498

Awards Showcase

Xwriter Prompt 7 - Punctuationless

This prompt comes in two parts. Here's Part One this morning:

Write up to 300 words with absolutely no punctuation. (I did this prompt in my prompt group and one of the members pointed out that capitalization is, in fact, punctuation.) Write the entire thing with no commas, periods, semi-colons, quotation marks, etc. I actually find this one easier to do on paper because my fingers are so used to putting in the punctuation and I type so fast that I almost can't type it without them. Try it with a pen and paper and see what you get (or, heck, go crazy and do it both ways).

Possible subjects: this exercise works well with anything chaotic and fast: a war, the first day of an opening sale, etc.

This is one of my favorite prompts and is from one of the books on my Resources list (see post for Week 3); it's from a book called STEERING THE CRAFT by Usula K. LeGuin. She's amazing, if you haven't come across her work before. Talented, generous, and brilliant.

Give this one a try and then we'll do part two.
    My Links: Blog | Website | Facebook | Noon and Wilder Facebook | Twitter
    Knoontime Knitting: Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Ravelry
    My Books:
    BURNING BRIGHT | EMERALD FIRE | Taking a Chance | COOK LIKE A WRITER, 02/2013 | TIGER TIGER, 07/2013

Well, I ran a little over at 347. Sorry about that. I guess it sort of makes up for all my earlier short ones.

Story:

i cant get out the sky crackles the very air charged with electricity from the storms attacking this cursed dome even if the planet were not trying to tear itself apart the mayor would not open the airlock for me she thinks i am some kind of savior but how can that be when i cant even save myself besides if i did have some mythical powers then shouldnt i be allowed the freedom to use them instead of being imprisoned treated like some kind of lucky talisman grandfather carried a rabbits foot i used to tease and say it sure wasnt lucky for the rabbit if only he could see me now hed know what i should do he grounded me with his unwavering faith in god when i was a child now im a christ figure how ironic the mark on my foot doesnt mean i am some holy being sent to save these people all it means is that i was a stupid kid who should have put on proper footwear before climbing onto the back of her brothers bicycle i can still remember his warning for me to keep my feet out away from the spokes but my little legs grew too tired the scar faded over the decades but not enough however to prevent that idiotic religious zealot from proclaiming me as the daughter of the moon what nonsense im not even native to their home planet sister karen says that doesnt matter im not certain that much of the population even believes her proclamation none of them say a thing against her though they would rather feign their faith speaking out against the state sanctioned church is dangerous i better put this notebook and pen away i hear someone coming oh its the same young acolyte who brought my writing material in the first place whats this a book very old by the looks of it im going to read for a while the prophecy isnt what sister karen led me to believe im to be sacrificed i cant get out
    "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."
    - Earnest Hemingway
    Reading: Castles in the air by christina Dodd
    Just Finished Reading: My Valient knight Hanna howell
    TBR: 803

Awards Showcase

Xthud Prompt 7-np punctuation

I know I did not enjoy reading Faulkner when he did this. It was a nightmare. But there is my try. 

my god she must have stabbed the man 132 times feeling numb she turned off the electric knife she stood over him a sense of the unreal crept over her as she continued to stare at the dead mutilated body of the man blood pooled about his body spreading wider on the laminate flooring the knife slipped from her hand hit the floor hard and landing on the button where it convulsed back to life jumping and shimmying in its dance of death she blew out a deep breath and yanked the plug out of the socket making it as silent as the corps she wondered how much extra she would have to pay her cleaning lady to set her kitchen back to rights would it be as easy to get her life back in order somebody wanted her dead somebody hated her enough to send a hit man she didn't know why and that meant she couldn't trust anyone someone wanted her dead the thought went round and round in her mind her hands trembled and her stomach heaved nadine mayer packed her bags left a note of apology to the cleaning lady and exited through the service entrance as the police sirens grew louder nadine wondered if she had done the right thing in leaving it was her condo her knife with her fingerprints and her dna in the pool of stomach contents next to the body no she was doing the only thing possible she was staying alive she was running but where in the hell was she running to

Dory
    Doreen Jensen:
    Your time-travel agent. Enjoy the ride.

Thumbs up Way to go, Dory!

Did you write this longhand first? I had to, then struggled to type it up in MS Word, "correcting" all its efforts in fixing my intentional mistakes.

I found your story very compelling, and much easier to read than expected. The flow works very well. I want to follow the character now and find out what happens next.
    "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."
    - Earnest Hemingway
    Reading: Castles in the air by christina Dodd
    Just Finished Reading: My Valient knight Hanna howell
    TBR: 803

Awards Showcase

Typing re Darla's prompt.

You got a way with words missy. I really like it. Yes I often write longhand, I'm computer-illiterate and it helps me think. Do you find that?
    I do want to read more of this. It would make a great opening paragraph. Did you read Faulkner's THE BEAR in high school? The entire book is without punctuation or capitals. Very annoying. If we sent even a snippet off to a publisher like that we'd be on some banned list.(LOL) I liked the part of the rabbit foot--my dad used to say that to me because I always carried one. Now I just consider the whole rabbit to be lucky. Of course I get upset with him when he eats my garden. He has done a lot of damage to my trees and shrubs this winter.
    Dory
    Doreen Jensen:
    Your time-travel agent. Enjoy the ride.

Cloud 9 Thanks, Dory!

Your kind words really made my day. I'm flattered that you say it would make a great opening paragraph.

I seem to remember hearing about Faulkner's experiment but not reading. It would surely give me a headache to read more than a few hundred words in the style. That's so true about what would happen to us in the publishing world if we tried to present something like that.
    For someone proclaiming to be computer illiterate, you sure seem to do fine here. I always face a learning curve with even the simplest of new internet software, trends, even updates and such.

That's too bad about the deer eating your plants. I'm lucky. We see them in a neighboring field on a semi-regular basis but they leave my gardens alone.

As for whether I write with pen and paper or use the laptop, my technique varies. Years ago, everything went into a notebook first before being transcribed into MS Word and edited, edited, edited. Like you, I found the process allowed my mind to focus, advancing the story more succinctly than when I sat at the computer.

Then I discovered fan fiction, which got me addicted to quick stories that garnered lots of forum feedback. During that period, I worked full-time but enjoyed plenty of free moments to write on the computer while appearing busy. It was a delightful era before job demands expanded beyond sane proportions. Those were the days.

I look forward to the next prompt on here, however the words come out.

Happy writing!
    - Earnest Hemingway
    Reading: I'm on a weaving kick right now, so I'm reading a lot of weaving books.
    Just Finished Reading: WHAT A GIRL WANTS, by Selena Robins
    TBR: 1,498

Awards Showcase

Awesome job, guys. For Part II, come to the next prompt, Prompt 8>>>>.
    My Links: Blog | Website | Facebook | Noon and Wilder Facebook | Twitter
    Knoontime Knitting: Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Ravelry
    My Books:
    BURNING BRIGHT | EMERALD FIRE | Taking a Chance | COOK LIKE A WRITER, 02/2013 | TIGER TIGER, 07/2013