Whiskey Creek Press will release Mitchell's Run next month. I'm still not sure whether at the beginning or the middle of the month. It is both the first and the last Amy Gallow book.
Before its initial release as a paperback in Australia in 1999, it won two national competitions and was the first of six books I wrote for the Rocky River Romance line of Saltwater Press, my first publisher. Diane Colman, the owner, editor, and general factotum, required a fresh 55,000 word story from me every thirteen weeks. It was exactly the pressure I needed in retirement to make me focus and acquire the writing discipline required to produce the book list I now boast while learning the craft that fascinated me, then and now.
Although Mitchell's Run has been printed under license in China, released as a large print version in the UK and cloned as an American version set in California, it has never been released as an e-book.
I've updated the writing but left the story and original setting unchanged except for a minor addition to the story ending to satisfy the most common comment by readers.
Amy Gallow came into existence at Diane Colman's insistence. She quoted research that women were more comfortable reading romance written by another woman than by a man. (Nicholas Sparks was still in the future then). New writers do not argue with their first publisher, so I borrowed my wife's middle and maiden names to become Amy Gallow. Since then, Amy has given me the services of eleven editors to hone my craft and I regard her with both affection and gratitude.
By August 1st I will have four published titles as David Andrews. The first two books of a science fiction series created out of my musings on the obituary of a 107 year-old Australian veteran of WWI and two contemporary sea stories based on my forty-five years of experience as a Marine Engineer on everything from ancient paddle steamers to the cutting edge technology of oil drilling and production rigs.
I hope you enjoy Mitchell's Run for its release as an e-book fulfills a promise I made to myself when Diane Colman over-reached herself in 2006 and went broke trying to break into the US market. My debt of gratitude to her is immense.
I'll post an excerpt in the section for current an upcoming stories as a teaser.
Regards and goodbye.
David Andrews, writing as