A tragic event of the past week has made me want to spread this particular word far and wide. You've likely all heard about the death of actor Heath Ledger. You may not all have seen Brokeback Mountain. Annie Proulx, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of the story, said this about the movie in general and Ledger's performance in particular:

"Seeing the film disturbed me. I felt that, as the ancient Egyptians had removed the corpse's brain through the nostril with a slender hook before mummification, the cast and crew of this film, from the director down, had gotten into my mind and pulled out images. Especially did I feel this about Heath Ledger, who knew better than I how Ennis felt and thought, whose intimate depiction of that achingly needy ranch kid builds with frightening power." (Bolding mine.)

What makes Ledger's portrayal strain one's credulity is that this man was under 25 when Brokeback was made.

My soul was, truthfully, wrenched countless times and ways by this astonishingly beautiful, emotionally shattering film. It lacks nothing. It is without a doubt the most moving and sensual love story I've ever had the privilege to view. If you haven't yet seen it, see it. Be prepared to cry . . . a lot. But see it.