Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default What Is Your Favorite Type of Promotion?

    Many authors that I speak with have concerns and struggles with their promotion. So, let's start on a positive note ----- what is your favorite type of promotion? What do you enjoy doing to promote your books? And, has it been successful for you?

    Nikki Leigh
    Award winning Fiction & Non Fiction Author
    "Coastal Suspense w/ a Touch of Romance"
    Book Promo 101 - Learn the Basics of Book Promotion
    www.nikkileigh.com/promo.htm
  2. #2

    Default

    I love doing readings and signings, but I suspect they're of limited value for anything other than something like poetry, where the hands-on approach is really helpful and there aren't so many other promo venues--that, unfortunately, I'm less comfortable with. I blog, do e-chats, have a MySpace that I sometimes even remember to update, but it's overwhelming. Readings and signings are social and personal and feel like "occasions."

    Teresa Noelle Roberts
    Lady Sun Has Risen--just out from Phaze Books
  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa Noelle Roberts View Post
    I love doing readings and signings, but I suspect they're of limited value for anything other than something like poetry, where the hands-on approach is really helpful and there aren't so many other promo venues--that, unfortunately, I'm less comfortable with. I blog, do e-chats, have a MySpace that I sometimes even remember to update, but it's overwhelming. Readings and signings are social and personal and feel like "occasions."

    Teresa Noelle Roberts
    Lady Sun Has Risen--just out from Phaze Books
    Have you had good results with signings?? I've had a few local ones that I wasn't excited about In a few weeks, I'm going to be on a couple of panels at the Virginia Festival of the Book and usually a bookseller sells books - but they are letting us sell our own. So, I'm looking forward to that and since the conference is close to home, I'm hoping to make some contacts in that city. We'll see how that goes

    Local libraries seem to like readings, but I think that depends on the person overseeing the events. The library in my town finally hired people to handle book buying and events - so I'm hoping they will get better

    Nikki Leigh
    Award winning Fiction & Non Fiction Author
    "Coastal Suspense w/ a Touch of Romance"
    Book Promo 101 - Learn the Basics of Book Promotion
    www.nikkileigh.com/promo.htm
  4. #4

    Default How to Promote Your Book

    I never thought much about promoting a book in the past. I hoped the publisher would do it but it doesn't seem to work that way unless you're already famous.

    With the publication of my seventh book of fiction, THE INFERNO COLLECTION, a romantic suspense mystery thriller with a touch of the paranormal, published by Five Star/Gale in hardcover at the end of June, I began to think differently.

    I spent years writing what I believe is a very special book. I certainly didn't want it to be ignored. I was fortunate in that BOOKLIST gave the novel a great review and several well-known writers wrote terrific blurbs. But hardcover is difficult to promote when you're a relatively unknown author.

    Five Star suggests personally contacting libraries. I did this. Since my heroine happens to be a librarian, I'm certain that helped. A number of libraries ordered my novel that might not have done so without personal contact.

    I also contacted both state and local newspapers to ask if they would put a news release out. THE STAR-LEDGER and SUBURBAN here in NJ both ran interviews. I gave the SUBURBAN newspaper reporter a copy of the book since she asked and her interview included a wonderful review. She loved THE INFERNO COLLECTION and that was definitely a plus. I believe that initially helped Amazon sales.

    I hope my experience will be useful to other writers promoting their books. I'm still learning myself.
  5. #5

    Default

    I'm just a beginner at promoting, but I think one of my favorite things thus far has been expanding my writing connections. It's been great to get out - virtually at least - and learn what other writers are doing and meet more readers.
    Kristin Lawrence
    Smart, sexy novels for smart, sexy readers
    http://www.freewebs.com/kristinlawrence
    The Vicar's Vixen now available from Dark Eden Press
  6. #6

    Default Networking

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Lawrence View Post
    I'm just a beginner at promoting, but I think one of my favorite things thus far has been expanding my writing connections. It's been great to get out - virtually at least - and learn what other writers are doing and meet more readers.
    I've done all sorts of promotional work for about 16 years and networking is a great thing to do. Meet people who are in the field and doing well. This is also a great way to find partners for a joint venture project. A lot of authors do joint promotional projects - other businesses could learn from how great many authors work together

    Nikki
    Award winning Fiction & Non Fiction Author
    "Coastal Suspense w/ a Touch of Romance"
    Book Promo 101 - Learn the Basics of Book Promotion
    www.nikkileigh.com/promo.htm
  7. Miss Mae's Avatar
    Just Finished Reading: The Privateer by Danielle Thorne
    TBR: 4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    745

    Awards Showcase

    Miss Mae is offline
    #7

    Default

    I'm still learning these promotional thingies...I'm not real sure how successful my distributing brochures, handing out business cards, adding it to my siggie in emails, joining author yahoo groups, etc. are...

    I guess it takes a bit of time to find out, huh?


    "When the Bough Breaks", "See No Evil, My Pretty Lady", "Catch Me If You Can", "It's Extraordinary, My Dear Winifred", "Said the Spider to the Fly", available at both Smashwords and Amazon

    Visit me online at: http://themissmaesite.com



  8. #8

    Default Its Not An Overnight Process

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Mae View Post
    I'm still learning these promotional thingies...I'm not real sure how successful my distributing brochures, handing out business cards, adding it to my siggie in emails, joining author yahoo groups, etc. are...

    I guess it takes a bit of time to find out, huh?
    Promotion takes time. There are some specialized examples of overnight promotional campaigns, but the successful ones are few and far between.

    Handings out cards, circulating brochures, signature blocks - etc - all those things take time. There are many authors who have recognizable names, that didn't happen overnight and it took time for people to get to know their name, read their books etc.

    I had a friend who promoted her book for a year and then basically gave up. I've been promoting mine since before I was published, so about 3 1/2 years at this point. I started early because I knew it would take time. There is a chapter in Book Promo 101 about when its too early to start promoting --- you could be surprised by some of the answers.

    You need to keep working at promoting and be patient. Not the easiest thing you will do, but it takes time. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about a month or two

    Nikki
    Award winning Fiction & Non Fiction Author
    "Coastal Suspense w/ a Touch of Romance"
    Book Promo 101 - Learn the Basics of Book Promotion
    www.nikkileigh.com/promo.htm
  9. #9

    Default Newspapers & Libraries

    Quote Originally Posted by JacquelineSeewald View Post
    I never thought much about promoting a book in the past. I hoped the publisher would do it but it doesn't seem to work that way unless you're already famous.

    With the publication of my seventh book of fiction, THE INFERNO COLLECTION, a romantic suspense mystery thriller with a touch of the paranormal, published by Five Star/Gale in hardcover at the end of June, I began to think differently.

    I spent years writing what I believe is a very special book. I certainly didn't want it to be ignored. I was fortunate in that BOOKLIST gave the novel a great review and several well-known writers wrote terrific blurbs. But hardcover is difficult to promote when you're a relatively unknown author.

    Five Star suggests personally contacting libraries. I did this. Since my heroine happens to be a librarian, I'm certain that helped. A number of libraries ordered my novel that might not have done so without personal contact.

    I also contacted both state and local newspapers to ask if they would put a news release out. THE STAR-LEDGER and SUBURBAN here in NJ both ran interviews. I gave the SUBURBAN newspaper reporter a copy of the book since she asked and her interview included a wonderful review. She loved THE INFERNO COLLECTION and that was definitely a plus. I believe that initially helped Amazon sales.

    I hope my experience will be useful to other writers promoting their books. I'm still learning myself.
    Sending a press release to newspapers is a great way to get some exposure. It seems easier in small towns But, its a good thing to do with any paper - I like to target papers that are near me or near events that I'm doing. I've also done great with my local libraries, but haven't branched past those. Three of my books are set on the Cape Ann coast of Massachusetts near Gloucester and I would love to get my books in that library. The problem is that I never get a feeling person on the phone But, I keep trying

    Nikki Leigh
    Award winning Fiction & Non Fiction Author
    "Coastal Suspense w/ a Touch of Romance"
    Book Promo 101 - Learn the Basics of Book Promotion
    www.nikkileigh.com/promo.htm
  10. #10

    Default

    Hi Nikki,
    I like doing online promoting via Yahoo groups. It's a great way to meet people all over the country and you don't have to leave your house. Book signings are fun. I do these at various Scottish and Irish festivals and my sales are high. One technique I learned from a fellow author is to hand out free bookmarks to people passing by. This has earned me many sales to people who would have just walked on by if I had not made the effort to speak to them.

    Kelley
    http://www.kelleyheckart.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •