The aim of this seminar is to learn the following steps in writing humor.
1. So you want to be a comic: the trials, tribulations and costs of writing funny. Do you have what it takes, or can you take what it has?
2. What is humor: what constitutes humor, when it should be written and when to avoid it.
3. Finding humor: training to spot humor, finding humor in tragedy, finding humor in joy.
4. The seven types of Humor: learn how to set up and write puns, slapstick, situational, subtle, snarky, silly and teasing humor, and the common errors to avoid.
5. The dangers of mishumor: avoiding the pitfalls of unintentional humor, how to spot a hot topic and a topic that will freeze you.
6. Timing and pacing: learn how punctuation, capitalization and spacing can kill or crown your humor.
7. Genre and Situations: how to tweak and fine tune your humor for the different entertainment fields and genres.
Researching humor booklist.
The following books were used as resources for the teaching parts of this seminar. Some of them deal mainly with visual comedy, or stage humor, but most of the techniques and methods are good lessons for those who wish to write humor. Books and stories used as examples and for other references in this course will be given at the end of the seminar since the list is somewhat dynamic. I’m always finding new books to talk about .
1. Comedy Writing Secrets, Mel Helitzer and Mark Shatz, Writer’s Digest Books. ISBN-13 9781582973579
2. How to Write Funny, Lee K. Abbot, Gail Galloway Adams, Sherman Alexie, Melissa Bank, Dave Barry, Roy Blount, Jr., Tom Bodett, Peg Bracken, Bill Bryson, Andrei Codrescu, Jennifer Crusie, John Dufresne, Denise Duhamel, Joe R. Lansdale, Michael Rosen, Lois-Ann Yamanaka. Writer’s Digest Books. ISBN 1582970548
3. The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Writing Erotic Romance, Alison Kent, Alpha Books. ISBN 1592575463
4. Writing the Romantic Comedy, Billy Mernit, Harper Collins.
5. The Complete Guide to Writing Fantasy, (now Re-released as Alchemy With Words: The Complete Guide to Writing Fantasy, Vol 1) Edited by Darin Park and Tom Dullemond. Dragon Moon Press. ISBN-13 978-1896944098
6. Writing Fantasy Fiction, Sarah LeFanu, A & C Black. ISBN 0713642602