January 11, 2011
WaterBrook Press
http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/
Hardcover
$10.99/$11.99
32 Pages
Juvenile Fiction – Religious – Christian
Rating: 4 Cups

Padraig is a dragon who insists on spending a night outside enjoying a fire, while toasting some marshmallows. Everything is great until night falls, and the sounds begin.

Roger is a turtle who feels that Padraig will have a roaring good time at the base of Sillymanborrow. He is eager to tell Padraig about the legend of Mount Sillymanborrow.

Padraig is anxious about settling in for a night around the campfire, but once the day begins to turn into darkness, he is not certain about staying out on the safari with Roger. The rustling sounds begin to alarm Padraig until Roger calmly tells him about some of the sounds he hears. When Roger insists upon telling him the story of the legend, Padraig would rather not hear it in the dark. Being a good friend, Roger, decides to wait until the morning hours to tell Padraig the story. As the night settles further, will Padraig be able to endure the long hours with Roger by his side?

The Dragon and the Turtle go on Safari is a splendid book that I believe children will adore. I thought the way Padraig grew a little nervous during the night, and Roger calming him, was quite brave. The friends bonded with each other, and I liked the way their adventure was a learning point, especially for Padraig as he learned much about the animals and their sounds. Ms. Paul and Ms. Denmark create a lively story sure to please while demonstrating friendship, caring, compassion, and the importance of getting along. Also the illustration, by Mr. Nguyen, truly allows the reader to absorb the story.

Cherokee
Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance & More

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This