Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My beloved animals :)

I'm doing some research for my latest wip (see charity call in yesterday's post on my author blog) and I've decided to do a weekly "animal awareness" post every Thursday on my blog. Animals are the burden of my heart. They always have been, but truthfully, the older I get, the less I am able to do physically.

That makes me sound like I'm 80! It's just, when I was in my 20s I worked with marine life rescue groups. I used to foster dogs and cats from the local no-kill shelters. I've always volunteered at the local zoo and always had a small zoo of rescued animals personally, but I'm just seriously finding it harder to do as much as I used to and it left me feeling very depressed.

Then I realized, I have a voice now! It may not be Oprah Winfrey, but I do have readers and I do have people coming by my blog every day. So I'm going to dedicate Thursdays to my beloved animals I hope you will indulge me.

One of my favorite animals ever, is the otter, so this first post is dedicated to them. I hope you come away more aware and more compassionate, but regardless, thanks for reading.

In 1750, thousands of sea otters lived and foraged along the California coast. Then fur hunters began killing them for their warm, luxurious pelts. By the early 1900s, only about 50 otters along the isolated Big Sur coast had escaped the slaughter. Today's southern sea otters are descendants of those few survivors.

With conservation efforts, the sea otter population has slowly grown to around 2,000, but that number has remained fairly stable for the past few years. Scientists are trying to determine the reasons for the recent lack of growth in the population. These recent growth trends and our lack of understanding about their causes mean an uncertain future for the California sea otter population.

Although their numbers have increased, sea otters still face serious risks: oil from a single tanker spill near San Francisco or off the central coast could wipe out the entire California sea otter population.

For more information and fun facts about otters, please visit my author blog today at www.samanthalucas.com/blog Thanks ;-)

From the creative vision of Samantha Lucas comes a new way of storytelling that is bold, dramatic and definitely sexy! The stories of Starlight Key are open ended, the lives of its residents intertwine, secrets and relationships unfold slowly over time. Get ready for drama, mystery, sexy immortals, villains you'll love to hate, Domination & Submission, men that will set fire to your soul and long drawn out love affairs! ~ Welcome to Starlight Key!

For more information on Samantha and her novels, please visit her at www.samanthalucas.com

Find me on Facebook
    Follow me on Twitter

Reading: Beautiful Mistake by Nancy Corrigan
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Bites by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    TBR: ?????

Awards Showcase

we have Otters the best place to see them is on the Scotish coast it's on my to do list we where in the wrong place when we went in April
    Hugs
    Hollie

Quote Originally Posted by hollie View Post
    we have Otters the best place to see them is on the Scotish coast it's on my to do list we where in the wrong place when we went in April
    Awww that's too bad. The last time I was in Scotland, I was 8, but I have a lot of family there so it's time for a trip back I think.

I get lost at the otter exhibit in Sea World San Diego. They got several of the rescued otters from the Valdez spill. It was just the most amazing thing to look at them and know what they'd been through, but there they were, happy and healthy and so damned adorable! lol
    From the creative vision of Samantha Lucas comes a new way of storytelling that is bold, dramatic and definitely sexy! The stories of Starlight Key are open ended, the lives of its residents intertwine, secrets and relationships unfold slowly over time. Get ready for drama, mystery, sexy immortals, villains you'll love to hate, Domination & Submission, men that will set fire to your soul and long drawn out love affairs! ~ Welcome to Starlight Key!

For more information on Samantha and her novels, please visit her at www.samanthalucas.com

Find me on Facebook
    Follow me on Twitter

Reading: Beautiful Mistake by Nancy Corrigan
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Bites by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    TBR: ?????

Awards Showcase

If you love animals have you read Brian Jacques Redwall series?

http://www.redwall.org/

The Otters in them are brillient so are the rest of the animals and the Hares are really funny
    Hugs
    Hollie

5. Super Spify Woman & Bestest Buddy to Karenne
    TBR: ??

Awards Showcase

Awwww, I love otters! Those pictures are really cute too. I like to see the otters that we have at the Florida Aquarium (they're river otters though) and I believe they have them at SeaWorld Orlando too (there's another thing we have in common...LOL). It's just been a while since I've been to see them there. The last time I went it was with my son and we did the things that he wanted to do. We ended up missing a few things here and there.
    Dani
    I've decided to use my name on my profile now to make things simple, but I am and always will be THE IrishWolf.

Quote Originally Posted by hollie View Post
    If you love animals have you read Brian Jacques Redwall series?

http://www.redwall.org/

The Otters in them are brillient so are the rest of the animals and the Hares are really funny
    I read the redwall series with my youngest as a homeschool project actually. I LOVED it!

Find me on Facebook
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IrishWolf View Post
    Awwww, I love otters! Those pictures are really cute too. I like to see the otters that we have at the Florida Aquarium (they're river otters though) and I believe they have them at SeaWorld Orlando too (there's another thing we have in common...LOL). It's just been a while since I've been to see them there. The last time I went it was with my son and we did the things that he wanted to do. We ended up missing a few things here and there.
    I haven't been to Sea World in FOREVER it seems. My friend went to DIscovery Cove earlier this year, I was SO jealous! Were we lived in CA was about 2 hors away, so we'd go about every other month or so, I love the place! LOVE LOVE LOVE lol

Find me on Facebook
    Follow me on Twitter

It's wolves up this weeK!

Come on by the blog for some fun facts and ways to help save these beautiful animals.

Find me on Facebook
    Follow me on Twitter

9. Super Spify Woman & Bestest Buddy to Karenne
    TBR: ??

Awards Showcase

Ooooh, now you're talking about one of my favorite animals! I'll take a look later when I'm not so tired.
    Dani
    I've decided to use my name on my profile now to make things simple, but I am and always will be THE IrishWolf.

Polar bears are up!
    http://samanthalucas.com/blog

Find me on Facebook
    Follow me on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast