Yeah Movies I watch waaaaaay too much...& some useless trivia too!

It's a Saturday, I'm waiting to hear about the new place and I'm bored! So I was thinking about some of my favorite movies, particularly the ones I watch over and over again and never get bored with and thought I'd share. :D

The Slipper and The Rose

~ A British film version of Cinderella with a lot more story..and singing! Starring Richard Chamberlain and Gemma Craven, I have the soundtrack and often listen to it when I’m writing…in fact, I’m listening to it now. ;-)

Here’s a bit of trivia for the film…
    Over 800 girls were considered for the part of Cinderella, and around 150 were interviewed before Gemma Craven was picked. Now that’s a Cinderella story in itself considering she ended up receiving two major film awards for her performance: The Variety Club’s Film Actress of the Year and the Evening News Film Awards’ Most Promising New Actress. And has gone on to have a very
    successful career both in London and on the stage.

How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days

~ This is one of my favorite all around movies and how freaking cute is Kate Hudson! Can I be her??? I’m not sure what it is exactly about this one, the chemistry is crazy hot, the story is cute and the secondary cast perfect. Maybe it’s just a combined thing that puts this one on my most watched list, but the moment you see them really start to fall for one another, omg I get butterflies.

Trivia…
    Gwyneth Paltrow was originally cast as Andie.
    Kate Hudson improvised plastering Matthew McConaughey with kisses during the scene where she introduces the new dog. This is why McConaughey looks genuinely surprised.
    Andie wears a Harry Winston diamond wreath necklace with an 84-carat yellow diamond pendant (called the “Isadora”) attached, valued at approximately $5,280,000 and a pair of 5-carat radiant cut yellow diamond stud earrings worth approximately $125,000.
    There were an estimated $14,200,000 worth of jewels lent to the film.

The Sleeping Dictionary

~ In 1936, the expatriated young and naive just-graduated British John Truscott (Hugh Dancy) arrives to the Sarawak, a British colony, to work in the Iban society. The beautiful Selima (Jessica Alba) is assigned to be his “sleeping dictionary”, to live and sleep with him and teach him the language and habits of the locals. The reluctant John and Selima fall in love for each other in a forbidden romance that plays out so beautifull. This is a sexy powerful love story that I can’t get enough of.

Trivia…
    The film used more than 600 Iban extras.
    It was true that Iban maidens as “sleeping dictionaries” did exist, and to this day, there are in fact many prominent Eurasians in local Borneo society who are living proof of that practice.

Forty Pounds of Trouble The movie trailer is even at this link!

~ A very old Tony Curtis movie, it’s a version of the story Little Miss Marker, only in this version…they go to Disneyland!!! OMG you have no idea how often I’ve watched this movie over the years. lol It’s just a fun, lighthearted romp you can watch with your kids. The cast is great and completely endearing.

Trivia…
    The film marked a number of “firsts”:
    • It offered the first use of Disneyland as one of the principal settings.
    • It marked the film debut of director Norman Jewison, whose previous work was entirely in television.
    • It marked the debut of Stan Murgulies as a producer.
    • It was the first picture to be completed under the Curtis Enterprises production banner.

Galaxy Quest

~ I can watch this one every day, it makes me laugh, but the characters are all so familiar because as a Star Trek addict, I get it! The first time I watched it, was in a full theater and the crowd got so involved it was fantastic! I rarely have such a fun time at the movies. I secretly wish this film would become a cult classic with midnight showings like Rocky Horror. lol

Trivia…
    The commander’s name, Jason Nesmith, is a play on the name given to Buzz Lightyear in the movie “Toy Story”, Mrs. Nesbitt. Both characters are played (voiced) by Tim Allen.
    The NSEA Protector’s serial number is NTE 3120. NTE is short for Not The Enterprise.
    According to writer David Howard, the continuous melodic yet monotone voice of Thermian Cmdr. Mathesar was an original idea that Enrico Colantoni brought to the character. Everyone on the set loved it so much they kept it in the shoot.
    “I had originally not wanted to see Galaxy Quest because I heard that it was making fun of Star Trek and then Jonathan Frakes rang me up and said ‘You must not miss this movie! See it on a Saturday night in a full theatre.’ And I did and of course I found it was brilliant. Brilliant. No one laughed louder or longer in the cinema than I did, but the idea that the ship was saved and all of our heroes in that movie were saved simply by the fact that there were fans who did understand the scientific principles on which the ship worked was absolutely wonderful. And it was both funny and also touching in that it paid tribute to the dedication of these fans.” — Patrick Stewart

The Parent Trap (the original)

~ I love the old Hailey Mills version. Brian Keith and Maureen O’hara are so cute and maybe it’s just because it encapsulates the time it was made so beautifully, but I don’t think I’ll ever tire of seeing it.
    Trivia…
    • The screenplay originally called for only a few trick photography shots of ‘Hayley Mills (I)’ in scenes with herself; the bulk of the film was to be shot using a body double. When Walt Disney saw how seamless the processed shots were, he ordered the script reconfigured to include more of the special effect.
    • The title song was performed by ‘Tommy Sands’ and Annette Funicello. They were on the lot shooting Babes in Toyland (1961).
    • Susan Henning took on the role as Hayley Mills’ body double for several of the twin shots in the film. As part of her contract, she signed away her rights to be credited. At the wrap party Walt Disney presented her with a small statue of Donald Duck, called The Duckster, in recognition of the “best unseen performance on film.” Only 2 other Ducksters have ever been awarded. To her credit, Ms. Henning did star with Elvis Presley later.

Just Like Heaven

~ This is probably my favorite romantic movie to date. As a romance writer, I know how important all those subtle touches are to building the chemistry between my characters, but in this movie, Elizabeth is a spirit, there is no way for them to touch. Their falling in love is such a beautiful, organic thing and is a pleasure to watch.
    Trivia…
    After a bad take while shooting, Mark Ruffalo jokingly jumped out of a window on the set. He landed on a catwalk just outside the window, but still scared the crew.
    Co-writer Leslie Dixon suggested using the apartment where she used to live for shooting. She also suggested ‘Jon Heder (I)’ for the role of Darryl. Both of these suggestions were taken.
    The producers bought the rights to the novel without having read the original French book after receiving a proposal with a rough outline of the story…sigh, why can’t this happen to me??!! Lol

Pretty Woman ~

~ This movie holds up so well. I’ll be honest, I hadn’t watched it in a lot of years, but I used to watch this one maniacally when I was pregnant with my first child. I did however see it again a few months ago and secretly wondered if it would be as good as I remembered. It was! Despite I’d seen it so many times and knew the dialog by heart, the movie still charmed me and I found myself swept up in the romance of it…sigh
    Trivia…
    Richard Gere started off much more active in his role, but Garry Marshall took him aside and said “No, no, no. Richard. In this movie, one of you moves. And one of you doesn’t. Guess which one you are?”
    When Stuckey slams the door to his car they actually had to replace it, because the window broke.
    When Edward (Richard Gere) snaps the necklace case down on Vivian’s (Julia Roberts) fingers, was improvised by Gere, and Roberts’ reaction (laughter) was totally natural. The filmmakers liked it so much, they decided to leave it in.
    During the lovemaking scene Julia Roberts got so nervous a visible vein popped out of her forehead. Director Garry Marshall got into bed with Julia and Richard Gere. Marshall and Gere massaged her forehead until the vein disappeared. Julia also broke into hives and was given calamine lotion until they were finally able to shoot the scene.

There are a bunch more to be honest, Zorro, with Antonio Banderas, --but then I've had a thing for Zorro ever since the first time I watched the old Disney series...omg Guy Williams was HOT!

The Wedding Planner with Jenifer Lopez, LOVE this one, Dale and i do movies in the park in the summer, it always reminds me of this movie

Oh, and right now, I'm hunting high and low to replace my copy of The Island, with Scarlett Johansson and Ewan McGregor! This is one of my very favorites, because it stars 2 of my favorite actors on top of being a creepy and fascinating film.

And as an honorable mention…Movies I love but can’t bear to watch repeatedly (there’s only one lol) —The Notebook ~ This may be the love story to end all, but I can’t bear to watch to more then maybe once or twice a year. But brava to Nicholas Sparks for writing this story.
    Trivia…
    • Gena Rowlands, who played older Allie in the movie, is the director’s (Nick Cassavetes) mother.
    • ‘Ryan Gosling (I) ‘ (Young Noah) wore brown eye contacts because James Garner (Old Noah) has brown eyes, and Gosling has blue.
    • The “after 7 years Allie and Noah” scenes were shot first and then the crew/cast went on a Christmas break. Ryan Gosling had to lose the beard and 20lbs he’d had as the older Noah and come back to play the young Noah. Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling were rather shy and unsure around each other in the “after 7 years” scenes but were more comfortable together in the young Allie and Noah scenes.
    • Rachel McAdams beat many people for the role of Allie, including Britney Spears, Ashley Judd and Reese Witherspoon.
    Justin Timberlake was considered for the role of Noah Calhoun.—-are you kidding me with the Justin and Brittany thing?

okay, your turn, what movies do you love, watch repeatedly and never tire of? Once I move, I'm going to get back into watching movies, and I need some recommendations!

Oooooh I can't wait!
    From the creative vision of Samantha Lucas comes a new way of storytelling that is bold, dramatic and definitely sexy! The stories of Starlight Key are open ended, the lives of its residents intertwine, secrets and relationships unfold slowly over time. Get ready for drama, mystery, sexy immortals, villains you'll love to hate, Domination & Submission, men that will set fire to your soul and long drawn out love affairs! ~ Welcome to Starlight Key!

For more information on Samantha and her novels, please visit her at www.samanthalucas.com

Find me on Facebook
    Follow me on Twitter

Reading: Beautiful Mistake by Nancy Corrigan
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Bites by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    TBR: ?????

Awards Showcase

oh I love Pretty Woman it was on TV last week and I watched it again
    Hugs
    Hollie

I love Jessica Alba, have you seen Dark Angel. Excellent series.

You have to add a few to your list, lol.

Tremors with Kevin bacon. I know all the words to all four. (A little sad, I know.) Jurassic Park (All four! I'd LOVE to watch that at a drive in one day), Big Trouble in Little China with Kurt Russell. Spaceballs! (Funny, funny movie) Serenity (favorite move EVER.)

and of course - the original favorites that can't be beat....The Three Musketeers and Robin Hood with Kevin Costner.

Well, now I know what I'm going to be watching, lol. *Grins*
    Once Upon a Mate - Being a Hybrid mate has never been more dangerous or erotic. 1st novel in the Hybrid Series.
    http://www.whiskeycreekpress.com/torrid/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=525

My Website - http://christinekirchoff.wordpress.com