Hybrid View

Reading: THEN YOU HIDE by Roxanne St. Claire
    TBR: 38

Awards Showcase

Xthud Don't mess with Mother Nature

Does anyone remember that old commercial with the voice of Mother Nature? I don't remember what they were advertising, only that her command resonated with me. After I share my clash with Mother Nature, the one that made it into PRIMAL OBSESSION, I invite you to share yours. Two lucky sharers will will a copy of PRIMAL OBSESSION.

To prepare for writing PRIMAL OBSESSION, I signed up for a six-day canoe and camping trip in northern Maine, along with my husband, three strangers, and a Maine guide. Even though I live in Maine where people hunt moose and have wilderness camps, my usual idea of a vacation is a hotel with a pool and a nice restaurant and beach. So not being an outdoorsy kind of person, I hoped the scenery and wilderness experience would be rewarding enough to make up for the grueling paddling and sleeping on the ground. I was right but there were times I wasn't sure.

Here's my story. On the second day of our trip, the guide, named Al, taught us compass and direction-finding skills. To put those into practice, we embarked on a "bushwhack," sometimes called orienteering. We were divided into two groups. The first group was to paddle a canoe around a small island cear our campsite to meet up with the second group at a designated beach. The second group, Al, the dh and moi, were to hike across the island to meet them.

Oookay, but none of us--including Al--counted on Mother Nature's tricks. The island was a maze. No amount of compass use headed us in the right direction because at every turn, brambles, boulders, or deadfall--or all three--headed us off another way. After three hours of a hike that was supposed to take one hour, we made it to the shore. Only it wasn't the beach where we were supposed to be. The dh and I sat down, finally, and Al hiked around through a marsh in search of our compatriots. An hour later, he appeared in an outboard driven by a park ranger. Rescue!

We learned that the other three campers had met with strong headwinds and had returned to their starting point. No one made it through the bushwhack successfully. It was exhaused and frustrated band that paddled back to the campsite.

So now, what's your tale of woe in Mother Nature? Come on, give. You know you have one.
    Susan Vaughan
    Suspense. Sizzle. Danger. Desire.

Hi Susan,
    That sounds like a very frustrating adventure. The dh, two boys and I were doing a back country canoe trip a few years ago, we'd be out for five days with several portages and lots of paddling. The first day out we got to the campsite (not another person for miles) only to discover that an important part of the small camp stove was missing. Hubby remembers hearing something metallic fall when he was unloading the car, three hour paddle back. He and #1 son hop into canoe just as the sun starts to set and #2 and I wait. And wait. It's full dark and I'm getting nervous. I go to the shore of the lake with my tiny backpacking flashlight and make believe I'm a lighthouse. LOL They arrive shortly after, with the missing part. The rest of the trip was wonderful.

Luanna
    Reading: THEN YOU HIDE by Roxanne St. Claire
    TBR: 38

Awards Showcase

Post Nature disaster

Luanna,
    Mine was no more frustrating than yours. And yours was a whole lot scarier. I can't imagine how worried and frightened you must have been. Were your husband and son all right? Would they find you? Were wild animals going to attack while they're gone and you have no fire? Yikes! Glad everything turned out all right. Thanks so much for sharing your misadventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Luanna View Post
    Hi Susan,
    That sounds like a very frustrating adventure. The dh, two boys and I were doing a back country canoe trip a few years ago, we'd be out for five days with several portages and lots of paddling. The first day out we got to the campsite (not another person for miles) only to discover that an important part of the small camp stove was missing. Hubby remembers hearing something metallic fall when he was unloading the car, three hour paddle back. He and #1 son hop into canoe just as the sun starts to set and #2 and I wait. And wait. It's full dark and I'm getting nervous. I go to the shore of the lake with my tiny backpacking flashlight and make believe I'm a lighthouse. LOL They arrive shortly after, with the missing part. The rest of the trip was wonderful.

Luanna
    Susan Vaughan
    Suspense. Sizzle. Danger. Desire.