Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm confused...

Default I'm confused...

I've just finished reading the Riley books and went looking for book seven and realised that the release dates seem to be according to american conventions? A friend of mine who lives in Canada said that book seven is coming out in March next year, which is their spring.

I dont understand why Keri's website (who is an Australian author) doesn't list it as Autumn 2009, which is the season Australians are in, in March.

And I would have thought Australia would get the book release before the rest of the world? I'm a little confused (and frustrated).
    Reading: Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
    Just Finished Reading: Office Affair by Jess Dee
    TBR: 15

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by feybie View Post
    I've just finished reading the Riley books and went looking for book seven and realised that the release dates seem to be according to american conventions? A friend of mine who lives in Canada said that book seven is coming out in March next year, which is their spring.

I dont understand why Keri's website (who is an Australian author) doesn't list it as Autumn 2009, which is the season Australians are in, in March.

And I would have thought Australia would get the book release before the rest of the world? I'm a little confused (and frustrated).
    Nope we normally get Keri's books after they are released in the states. It's so unfair.

The seventh book is out in Autumn here in Australia. It could be listed for America's time of the year because her books are published by an overseas publisher.

awwwww thats so unfair. We have to wait for the overseas books to get released here after they are released over there, and now we have to wait for our own authors too?

And I didnt realise you could get published by an overseas publisher without having first being published by your home country.... what about working laws etc?

Awards Showcase

awwwww thats so unfair. We have to wait for the overseas books to get released here after they are released over there, and now we have to wait for our own authors too?

And I didnt realise you could get published by an overseas publisher without having first being published by your home country.... what about working laws etc?
    Sometimes we get books here before they come out in America and other times we don't.

I've never heard anything about being published in your home country before being published overseas. So on that question I'm not sure!

Reading: Beautiful Mistake by Nancy Corrigan
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Bites by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    TBR: ?????

Awards Showcase

A lot of authors publish with over seas publishers espically american (they have so many) as long as you pay taxes you can work for who ever you want and most authors don't 'work' for a publisher they are contracted with them.
    Hugs
    Hollie

I may be australian, but technically I'm an american author, because that's whom I'm published by (Aussie publishers did not want to know me)

working laws (which I presume means green card laws) don't really apply when it comes to authors and actors. And Australia has tax agreements with most countries, including America. You have sign and submit a whole lot of legal forms, but basically authors (and other contractors) can pay tax in their home country rather than both. We generally only have to pay a small percentage to the AMerican government (5%) which we can claim back anyway (If you don't sign the forms, you pay 30% to the US gov, but can claim that back here). Which is probably way more than you needed to know about tax. lol
    Half vampire, half werewolf, all trouble...The Riley Jenson Guardian series. Available now from bookstores everywhere.

The books are contracted to an american publisher, which why they follow american release conventions. Piatkus, who releases the books in Australia, bought the commonwealth rights from bantam, but they will always release the books after the US release, not before. It's confusing, I know

Half vampire, half werewolf, all trouble...The Riley Jenson Guardian series. Available now from bookstores everywhere.
  8. Super Spify Woman & Bestest Buddy to Karenne
    TBR: ??

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by KeriArthur View Post
    I may be australian, but technically I'm an american author, because that's whom I'm published by (Aussie publishers did not want to know me)
    That's really sad. You'd think that an Aussie publisher would want to publish your books since you're A) you're an awesome writer and B) an Aussie too. Well, at least our American publishers liked you!
    Dani
    I've decided to use my name on my profile now to make things simple, but I am and always will be THE IrishWolf.

LOL! Oh, I'm sure the Aussie publishers are choking on their mistake now! I've only read the Imajinn books (I'll get to the others, I promise!) but I know those Riley Jensen books are extremely popular.

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by KeriArthur View Post
    The books are contracted to an american publisher, which why they follow american release conventions. Piatkus, who releases the books in Australia, bought the commonwealth rights from bantam, but they will always release the books after the US release, not before. It's confusing, I know

It's harsh because normally we don't get the books until at least 2 weeks to a month later than America. It's totally unfair. Some places like Rosemary's Romance in Brisbane release them on the date they are released in America.