Reading: Revealers, Amanda Marrone
    Just Finished Reading: The Other Queen, Philipa Gregory
    TBR: ten

Awards Showcase

Default Confessions of a food addict

Oh wow. I can't believe I am the first to post in here! Okay, confession time. I am a type 2 diabetic, and I love food. If there was a twelve step program for food addicts, I would be in it.

I would love to share recipes in here for sugar free, diabetic stuff, if anyone is interested!
    Crooked Angel, third book in the Shannon Wallace Mysteries coming soon!
    http://www.mkimsmith.com
    Reading: Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
    Just Finished Reading: Office Affair by Jess Dee
    TBR: 15

Awards Showcase

I don't know many sugar free, diabetic recipes.

Awards Showcase

Well, you have a point. There are really NO sugar free anythings, if you look at it from the perspective of carbohydrates. But I sure can come up with some good stuff.

From diabetic-recipes.com...

Baked Pita Chips

(makes 72 chips)

66-inch (15 cm) pita breads
    olive oil cooking spray
    fire roasted garlic juice (optional)
    1. With a sharp knife, cut each pita bread in half, then each half into 3 triangles. Gently pull apart each triangle to separate it into 2 pieces, getting 12 triangles per pita bread.
    2. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C), Gas Mark 5.
    3. Lay the triangles in a single layer on a large nonstick baking sheet. (Depending on the size of your baking sheet, you make need to bake them in two batches.) Lightly coat triangles with cooking spray and spritz lightly with garlic juice (if using).
    4. Bake for about 7 minutes, until pita begins to color. Turn pitas over and continue to bake until crisp and golden brown, about another 5 minutes. Store in airtight containers or self-sealing plastic bags.
    Per 6 Chip Serving:83 calories (4% calories from fat), 0 total fat (0 saturated fat), 3 g protein, 17 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 36 mg potassium
    Diabetic Exchanges:1 carbohydrate (bread/starch)
    Reading: Revealers, Amanda Marrone

Awards Showcase

Seems like most of the diabetic recipes I see lately have been Atkins Diet wannabes. Ah well.

Mushroom Omelet

butter-flavored cooking spray

6ounces (180 g) fresh wild mushrooms such as shiitake, portobello, chanterelles, etc. or button mushrooms (or a combination of 2 or more kinds), thinly sliced
    2scallions, white part only, thinly sliced
    1/4teaspoon (1.25 ml) fines herbs
    1tablespoon (15 ml) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    freshly ground pepper
    8ounces (240 ml) liquid egg substitute
    2sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish

1. Spray a nonstick small skillet or omelet pan with cooking spray and heat over high heat for a minute. Add the mushrooms and scallions; cook over high heat until the mushrooms are just cooked through, stirring. Add the fines herbs, parsley, and pepper. Remove from heat and keep warm.
    2. Using the same small skillet, again lightly sprayed with cooking spray. add half of the egg substitute. Cook over medium heat, lifting the sides of the eggs to allow uncooked eggs to flow under. Once the bottom is lightly browned, carefully flip the omelet to brown the other side. Using a slotted spoon to drain off any liquid, spoon half of the mushroom mixture onto the omelet and fold in half. Transfer the omelet to a warmed plate and keep warm.
    3. Repeat the procedure, making the second omelet. Place a sprig of parsley on each omelet.
    Per serving:83 calories (4% calories from fat), 14 g protein, trace total fat (0.1 g saturated fat), 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 205 mg sodium
    Exchanges:2 very lean meat, 1 vegetable