Hybrid View

Default My Real Life Heroines

Only one? Come on, there's lots of real-life kick-ass heroines.

Some women took traditional women's roles to new heights: Susanna Wesley, Abigail Adams, Mother Teresa, in her own way.

Some women broke the mold:
    Jeannette Rankin, first female US representative. Without her, would we have been able to consider 2 women this year for the highest office in the land?)

Elizabeth Blackwell, first US MD, and other medical leaders: Lady Mary Wortley-Montagu, Clara Barton, Florence Nightengale

Marie Curie, Candance Pert, scientists

The many unnamed, unsung professional women (like my aunt) of the last century who labored, filed suits, and basically took no prisoners for rights in the workplace that we take for granted today. As the Plaid Adder says, "...we got where we are by learning in spite of people who didn't want to teach us and working in spite of people who don't want to pay us what we're worth and finding solutions and solving problems and growing businesses and firms and programs and institutions in spite of all the men around us who wanted us to fail."

The farm women like my grandmother who never finished eighth grade, who worked beside their husbands, doing the same work while bearing and raising daughters--and insisting that those daughters make a better life for themselves through education. (All four of her daughters earned bachelor's degrees, two earned master's, and one almost made it to a PhD--unheard of in the 1930s & 40s.)

And what about all the women novelists, starting (as far as we know) with Murasaki Shikibu in ancient Japan? If they hadn't written, would we be writing now? You've heard of Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters, but they were just members of a crowd. Other mothers of the English novel included Fanny and Sally Burney, Susan Ferrer, Maria Edgeworth (who wrote an interracial marriage in 1803), Ann Radcliffe, Caroline Lamb.

Nicely said.
    Now available.

Quick Pieces of Kinky Smut

Available from Phaze

Make sure to visit my website Romantic Heretic or friend me at Facebook Rob Graham

Reading: Beautiful Mistake by Nancy Corrigan
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Bites by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    TBR: ?????

Awards Showcase

my mum often says that woman have always been stronger than men the men just took longer to learn it. (and most still haven't caught up )
    Hugs
    Hollie

Quote Originally Posted by hollie View Post
    my mum often says that woman have always been stronger than men the men just took longer to learn it. (and most still haven't caught up )

LOL...Your mom and my mom should get together.

Madeleine L'Engle. Always loved her writing and she was an inspiration to me growing up. Her obituary last year in NYT was fascinating and I wish I had met her while she was alive.

Here, here...A writer friend of mine is writing a historical about a nurse who was trained by Florence Nightingale. She was one in a million, too.

I'll name an ancient one: Hypatia. She was an accomplished scholar and a librarian who was brutally murdered because she was both pagan and a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary D View Post
    As the Plaid Adder says, "...we got where we are by learning in spite of people who didn't want to teach us and working in spite of people who don't want to pay us what we're worth and finding solutions and solving problems and growing businesses and firms and programs and institutions in spite of all the men around us who wanted us to fail."
    Oh I love that quote. You certainly have a lot of women to look up to. However, I just wanted your fav. But thank you for sharing. It seems you come from a strong line of women.

Sorry! I break out in hives when I'm asked to pick a favorite anything...just one?

I've no idea how my response got to be a thread. I thought I was posting a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary D View Post
    Sorry! I break out in hives when I'm asked to pick a favorite anything...just one?

I've no idea how my response got to be a thread. I thought I was posting a reply.

LOL....that's okay. I enjoyed reading your post.