Okay, I'm officially hooked. Here I was blissfully moving through life poo-pooing most of the geeky science fiction stuff that came my way. Oh, I love the whole Star Wars thing, but I was more into the whole Leia/Han storyline. And admit it, back in the day, Harrison Ford was one HOT fella. Even now, for an old guy, he's still pretty damn easy on the eyes. But that's a whole other blog (grins).

But no, the other day I was watching tv. Yeah, they actually unshackled the chains from my desk and let me loose for a few hours. And you know what I watched? Some God-awful, cheesy sci fi called "They Live". If you've never seen it, picture aliens that come to earth, and look just like humans until you put on these dippy-looking sunglasses that are made out of this stuff that allows you to see them for what they are. And pure UGLY is about what they are. The star of the show was an ex WWF wrestler, named Roddy Piper. Rowdy Roddy Piper used to come into the arena in a kilt, with a bagpipe and that sort of thing. (yes, I admit to being a bit of an old wrestling fan too--shhhhhh too many revelations today).

Anyway, this cheesy-assed movie was filled with classic one-liners like, "I just came to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta bubble gum" and "Mama don't like no tattletales". UGH.

Worst part is, I liked it.

I blame it on my science fiction authors. They know who they are. It all started with Ciara Gold. She wrote two really great sci fi/futuristic romances. In fact, one of them, A Noble Sacrifice, even won an EPPIE. (EPPIE, from EPIC--go look it up). Then there was K. M. Tolan. His Blade Dancer was something I didn't really want to read either, but dang is it good. It's in the finals for an EPPIE this year. T. M. Hunter's Heroes Die Young? Awesome reading. Donica Covey wrote a great little story called Dragon's Angel. Not a sci fi, but a hot-selling fantasy that is burning up our bestseller list these days. And the list goes on. Seems our science fiction is doing really well these days and I've read every one of them.

So it seems that Champagne Books isn't all about wine and roses these days. We also have death rays and spaceships and transporter beams. Don't believe me? Come on and check us out!