Cat Burglar - Shelley Munro

This week marks the release of book six in my Middlemarch Mates series--Cat Burglar. Jonno Campbell is a leopard shifter. He's not actually a cat burglar but Laura Adams, the local cop, thinks he is during their initial meeting. The search for the jewel thieves plaguing Middlemarch and the surrounding towns starts in earnest when Laura decides to trust Jonno and they join forces.

A cat burglar is a thief who breaks into homes to steal personal property. Cats are stealthy and quiet creatures that approach prey without causing alarm. A cat burglar is a thief who slips inside unnoticed, taking what he wants and disappearing again before the victim notices a thing. Essentially, a cat burglar breaks and enters. It's against the law yet cat burglars have appeared in some of my favorite romance stories and movies.

Today I thought I'd tell you about two real-life cat burglars.

Estate agent, Bill Mason plundered more than $70 million worth of jewels over three decades. He said there was no thrill quite like hanging from a parapet 200 feet above the ground, knowing that a hoard of diamonds and gold was only a few feet away.

He was attractive, charismatic and debonair with old-age mystique and very good at his job, never once resorting to violence. He lived a double life for twenty-five years, married to his childhood sweetheart, Barbara. Living a normal middle-class lifestyle, he drove his three kids to school and sports matches, invited the neighbors over for cookouts and worked in his legitimate property business. At night, he robbed the rich, sinking the funds from his heists into real estate and investments that his wife assumed were the result of hard work and judicious borrowing. He always gave her a good excuse for his night time absences.

Mason said he had a good head for heights and worked to maintain strong hands because a thief needs to find one way to get inside that no one expects and that means climbing.

The FBI finally caught up with him and he did a stint in prison. You can read his story in Nine Lives: Confessions of a Master Jewel Thief by Bill Mason.

The second cat burglar is of the feline variety. Frankie, a two-year-old cat has stolen 35 plush toys during the last year. He skulks into houses, steals their small stuffed animals and takes his ill-gotten gains home, sneaking them through his cat flap. His owner, Julie Bishop, says, “He doesn't really play with them. He dumps them in the same spot at home and goes looking for more.”

Frankie has collected stuffed teddy bears, a giant squeaky hamburger but favors a small leopard toy. He has more than a dozen of the same spotted leopard toy. Here's a link to the story plus a photo of Frankie with some of his stolen loot. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2008/12/10/2008-12-10_reallife_cat_burglar_stealing_kitty_toys.html

Cat Burglar goes on sale on 31 December from Ellora's Cave. Here's a link to an excerpt. http://www.shelleymunro.com/books/cat-burglar/

Thanks to Lisa and the Erotic Muses for inviting me to visit today.

Adventure into Romance

With Shelley Munro

http://www.shelleymunro.com