Default Lesson 1: The Great Agent Search

Thanks for the intros everyone! Feel free to keep them coming in the Introductions topic. If you have questions about this particular lesson, feel free to post them in this thread.

Here is the first lesson...

Lesson 1: Who Needs an Agent?

So, you're done with your book (or two or three or four or ten) and now you're ready to submit. Probably you're asking yourself, do I need an agent? This lesson will go through some of the reasons you might want an agent and some things to remember as you try to make the decision if hiring an agent is right for you:

Reasons to hire an agent:

For an unpublished author, an agent can:

Get your work in front of the best editor for it -- Because agents (GOOD agents) are insiders in the publishing business, they have insider information. Yes, St. Martin's Press takes historical manuscripts, but are you sure which editor likes a really dark hero like yours? Or which one is about to go on maternity leave and will have manuscripts languishing for two months? Or the one who really hates the name Robert (your hero's name) because her ex-husband... ROBERT... ran off to Sweden with a legal secretary?

You don't? Well, a good agent WILL. She (for the purposes of this class, all agents will be she) should have a relationship of some kind with the editors at the houses where she'll be submitting your work. Part of her job is to put your dark hero Robert in front of an editor who loves dark heroes, has no problem with the name Robert and will be sitting at her desk for the next two months reading and analyzing work

Follow up without flack -- Your manuscript has been sitting on the desk of Editor A for six months. Your nails are bitten to the quick waiting to hear if your hero and heroine have hit a chord in her heart. You want to know if Editor A has passed your work up the line? Is she negotiating with the marketing department? Or is your manuscript being used to prop up the picture frame that broke last week?

Still, six months isn't all that long in our business. What if you call and interrupt some really important meeting and you forget your name and she gets annoyed and sends you a form rejection? I can tell you, the editor won't do that to your agent. The relationship between agent and editor is strictly business. An agent can call where you'd have to send a letter. If she emails, she's going to get a response somewhere down the line. She can nudge without looking like she's difficult, and she can tell you when it's waaaaay too soon to be nudging

In the world of agents and editors, my reputation is your reputation -- Having an agent sends a message to editors. It says that your work was good enough that a respected member of the publishing world thinks it will sell. It means another set of eyes has looked over it and cleared it, hopefully meaning it's a cut above the slush pile. If your agent has a good reputation, your work will be treated with an elevated level of respect. Editors who have a relationship with your agent, or have authors in their stable also repped by your agent, will look at your book and say, "Well, she sold me Suzy Bestseller, I'm sure this will be good." Having an agent will often mean a faster read and the respect of a more personal rejection, even though it doesn't guarantee a sale.

But this is a double edged sword. If you agent has a bad reputation in the industry, or sends out your work using questionable practices (reading fees, bulk submissions, sending to the wrong editor at the wrong house), the editor's regard for your work may actually drop. They may not even look at it, even if you are the next Nora Roberts. Which is why it's important to do your homework (to be covered in this workshop farther down the road).

So that's all fine and good, but what if you're already a published author, or you've just had an offer from your dream publisher? Should you rush out and get an agent now that the hard work of selling is done? Maybe, if the following things are important to you

The only clause I know is Santa. -- Your agent will never say this (or she shouldn't. If she does, run away... screaming). The ins and outs of entertainment law and publishing contracts are very complicated. A good agent can help you understand what you're signing on the dotted line.

My friend's enemies are my friends. -- Let's face it, kids. Publishing houses... ALL publishing houses, aren't exactly known as being fair to their authors. There are things in contracts that we don't like. Things we want to change. But how tough is it to call the nice editor who just told you she loves your book and wants to buy it and tell her you think Section C of subclause F is unfair

Having an agent allows you to have a buffer between your complaints about your contract and your editor. Negotiations between agent and editor, while sometimes tough, are generally friendly and rarely personal. These are two business people hashing out a deal, versus an author who is attached to her work taking each thing personally. With an agent in the mix, you can love your editor through thick and thin and never fight one battle with her personally over money or other contract issues.

Knowing what battles to fight. -- We're back to those clauses we don't like again. Some of them are bendable. Some of them are cast in stone. Unless you know the difference, you may want to consult an agent. If she's worth her salt, she can pick and choose between them. There's no use fighting endlessly on a battlefield that can't be taken. A good agent will tell you when to fold on a small issue and maybe win you points on something more important in the end.

Insider information. -- Once you're 'in' at your publishing house, you may think your job... and your agent's job is done. But that isn't always true. Sometimes internal opportunities arise that you might not be aware of. Like being part of an anthology with a best selling author, getting a better slot because someone dropped out, or being part of a popular continuity. Your agent will have her ears open for those opportunities and might be able to get you in.

The final distinction you'll have to make before you decide to hire an agent is between category and single title writing. Should what you write determine what kind of representation you want, if any?

Category Authors

Is it all about the money-honey? -- Many times, we authors are told that Harlequin contracts are set in stone, non-negotiable, thus making paying your agent 15% pretty useless. Some of that is probably true. For ANY new author, many points in any contract are going to be standard. After all, the publishing company is taking a risk without anything that guarantees return (like sales numbers, etc). But still, there are other issues besides money. Pen names. Publisher support. Cover issues. These are things an agent may still be able to tweak, as well as your ability to write for other houses.

So, now YOU have to decide. Do I want to pursue an agent?

I'll post the next lesson Monday, How To Look For An Agent. In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions.
    Jenna Petersen
    Desire Never Dies -- Available Now!
    From London With Love -- Still Available
    Seduction Is Forever (October 2007)
    http://www.jennapetersen.com -- Which Lady Spy Are You?
    TBR: 2many

Awards Showcase

Jenna,
    Thanks for the all the great info from Lesson One.
    You mentioned the fact that having an agent might make it easier to get your next book accepted at another house. So, would this mean that even if I had one or two books at say, Harlequin, but wanted to submit at Avon, the fact that I'd already published twice might not be as advantageous if I'd tried through an agent?
    And can agents really help you out with issues like book covers, etc? I have published, agented friends who had absolutely no say with their book covers. It seemed to me like you might get more of a say if you had a few books under your belt, agent or not.
    But what do I know?
    Rainy

Rainy,

Well, I guess I meant that Harlequin might not want you to publish with Avon. An agent can help you maneuver that often sticky situation, as well as help you work between your mulitple editors (a situation that DEFINITELY is easier with an agent).

As far as is it easier through an agent rather than with a couple books already published, it's not either/or. If you've already been published, you already have track record, print run and sales information, for better or for worse. That can make it easier (or harder if your books didn't do well) than coming in as an unpublished author.

Having an agent can make editors more open to seeing your work, too. But it isn't like you have to make a choice. It's not, "Well, I either have to have previous work OR have an agent."

The more advantages you can give yourself, the better.

As for covers, cover input varies from house to house. However, if you're given a cover you absolutely HATE, that is one thing that an agent can bring up to an editor with a more professional presentation. She can phrase it in an impersonal way that has more to do with potential sales, rather than that you don't like yellow and you think your heroine looks ugly or whatever your problem is.

Even if she CAN'T get the cover changed, a discussion with your editor might result in them trying to give you something else to make up for the hideous cover. It happens all the time. It's a business and it involves negotiation.

An agent's job is to negotiate in ALL scenarios.

Your job is to write.

If you have an agent you just get to do your job without having to try to do hers, too.

At least, that's my view of it. I love that I have NEVER spoken to my editor about any problem I've ever had. My agent does that for me. My relationship with my editor never has to be adversarial. My relationship is entirely about story and books, not the business, not the little points of contention. But I also still have an advocate working behind the scenes about the business and little points of contention.
    Jenna Petersen

I think a biggie for me is that many houses don't accept unagented submissions. Also, I've read on a couple agent blogs about little things that are inserted into contracts that I probably wouldn't notice that may not be that advantageous for an author. Too, having an agent frees you up to do more writing... they can do the submitting and following up! Yeah, I'm very pro-agent.

Okay, off to read more lessons and try to catch up! Thanks, Jenna.

Yes, very good points Melanie. Even houses that continue to take submissions are often only asking for a query, which is a much tougher sell than chapters would be.
    Jenna Petersen