Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default General Questions

Have a question and you're not sure it goes with the lessons posted yet? Post it here!
    Jenna Petersen
    Desire Never Dies -- Available Now!
    From London With Love -- Still Available
    Seduction Is Forever (October 2007)
    http://www.jennapetersen.com -- Which Lady Spy Are You?
    Reading: Currently nothing
    Just Finished Reading: Re-read Dead In The Family
    TBR: 100's

Awards Showcase

Default Spoke with authors

Jenna,

Well, I went to a book signing tonight. I met about twenty authors from various publishing houses. They all told me the same thing that you did. The agent will be your bad guy. They also told me that some agents will try to get away with things like not putting 50 author copies in the contract. My question is...is that normal? I mean 50 copies seems like a lot.

Hmmm, I guess I don't understand the question. You're saying the agent will be the bad buy (meaning she'll do the dirty work for you, I'm assuming). But I don't know what you mean by not putting 50 copies in the contract. Normally the author contract for a publishing house will include how many author copies you get (and how many depends on the house). No agent would have that clause removed, though they do often fight for more copies.

As for 50 copies seeming like a lot, it's not really. By the time you figure in the giveaways, any published contests you enter (where you have to send 4-5 books), contests, etc, you'll likely run out. I know I did with both my first books and ended up having to buy more copies at the discounted publisher rate because I needed more. If I could get 100, I'd probably still run out. LOL
    Jenna Petersen
    Reading: Currently nothing
    Just Finished Reading: Re-read Dead In The Family
    TBR: 100's

Awards Showcase

Default question

I should have put my question like this...Is it normal for publisher's to leave things out of contracts if they are dealing directly with the author and not an agent? I did hear some I guess you would call them horror stories, last night from different people who have tried to get published by themselves and with an agent.

Sure, there are publishers who will try to get one over on an author if they don't have an agent. Publishing contracts are very complicated things, with pages and pages of percentage points, details on what you can do and can't do and when you can and can't do it, they're tough to decipher. Most publishers have a boilerplate for an unpublished author and an agent can help you get around certain points of the boilerplate. And they're more likely to catch things like that your author copies have been left out or that the publisher can hold your reserve in perpetuity or whatever.

I certainly would not feel comfortable negotiating a publishing contract on my own and I consider myself an educated, reasonably intelligent person.
    Jenna Petersen

Don't forget, I'm still taking questions for the rest of the week.
    Jenna Petersen

Question I am a Published Author and Freelance Writer my Question is

Quote Originally Posted by JennaPetersen View Post
    Don't forget, I'm still taking questions for the rest of the week.
    I have recently began to consider getting an agent, I got burned once before so I wanting to have all the facts this time. My Question is how do I go about finding a good agent? And what all should I be prepared to send? Also should I wait until I have finished my latest MS or start sending it out now? Oh and which should I use, the Fantasy Romances which are in 1st POV or the contemporary romance in 3rd POV? My first two books are in 1st and Fantasy Romances.

HELP?
    Dee2006
    Last edited by Dee2006; March 28th, 2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: wanting email with responce

Dee,

Hmm, well the workshop as a whole covers many of your questions. Maybe after your read through the lessons, come back if you have points of clarification. That way I don't just repeat a lot of the info already out on the Workshop.
    Jenna Petersen
    TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up Just Jenna.....

Jenna..you have done an awesome job this month on this class. I have learned lots and some I didn't even think about.

I have to say you are da woman!
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

Thanks Karenne! It's gotten so quiet that I figured everyone had already roamed off. LOL
    Jenna Petersen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast