Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gothic Romance 'fan' of those older gothics from '60's and '70's

I am a 'fan' of those older gothic romance novels from the 1960's and 1970's. I think I like the covers of the books better than the actual stories though.

The Joseph Stone was a good book. Wasn't great but it was better than others. I'm now on a fetish thing for gothics concerning vampires, celtics, druids, witches, and having a real paranormal theme.

The Captain's Lady wasn't bad, but it was a rehash of Jane Aire, sp?, the brooding captain has a wife who he says is dead but is really mentally ill.

Anyone read any good gothics that they could share titles and authors of?
    Last edited by PrintGoddess; March 3rd, 2007 at 05:27 AM.
    TBR: 10

Awards Showcase

Lord satan by louisa bronte or janet louise roberts a very hard to find one but very good at least to me
    Reading: Has lots to read and wonders if I can get them all read in the next year .... 100's haha
    TBR: 99999

Awards Showcase

Default Yep we need to bring back gothic novels

Although the original gothics were about a century or more before that too ... but I love the gothic genre .. so yes bring it back ... love it ...

Laiiney
    Lainey
    www.myspace.com/wolfhealers
    www.myspace.com/ember_lanes_lyrical_muse

THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES, ONLY REASONS WHY AND TIMING IS KEY

I loved Victoria Holt! I used to keep a list and checked off each of hers so I didn't miss any! Phylllis Witney too was another that had some great Gothics!

I believe there's a new author out that her books have like a gothic feel, Eve Silver? And one more, I can picture her book but can't remember her name, but she too a new debut author.

I used to read a lot of gothic romances when I was in my 20's. Now, they just don't appeal to me. I find that my tastes change even in reading material, as I get older. It's been a while since I have read one, maybe I should give it a try.
    Reading: Has lots to read and wonders if I can get them all read in the next year .... 100's haha
    TBR: 99999

Awards Showcase

Default oh Victoria Holt

I grew up with her books she inspired me to read as a teen and young adult .. I wonder if I have any of hers anymore but I moved so much and traded a lot back then for used book stores to buy and sell ... now I keep what I have but have lost most of the old stuff... boohoo.. she was great. And gothics are neat too.. I wonder if it can be brought back to the mainstream though I bet most just read all the old ones that will be new again.
    Lainey
    www.myspace.com/wolfhealers
    www.myspace.com/ember_lanes_lyrical_muse

THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES, ONLY REASONS WHY AND TIMING IS KEY
    Reading: Blandings Castle by PG Wodehouse
    TBR: 20

Awards Showcase

Does anyone remember Virginia Coffman? I loved her books--especially the Moura series. Her writing was so atmospheric--I just loved it. And I liked her heros, too, because they were often just so...different.

I find I really like romances where the hero is not traditionally handsome. I'm probably just weird that way--but I really like characters that are physically flawed.
    Sincerely,
    Amy Corwin

Smuggled Rose ~ I Bid One American ~ Outrageous Behavior ~ Christmas Mishaps
    "An evil mind is a constant solace." --Unknown
    Reading: Waiting for Allison Chase's new release.
    Just Finished Reading: The latest series of Mary Balogh.
    TBR: Alot!

Awards Showcase

I absolutely love the gothics during those years. I used to read Victoria Coffman and Victoria Holt. Excellent authors.

As a matter of fact, I think they are who influenced some of my writing today. The Witch Within and Hearts' Reunion both have the feel of a gothic.
    Judith Leger
    Website
    "Fantasy Romance with a touch of Magic!"
    Winner of Stella Cameron's 2009
    Scarlet Boa Contest

'Love's True Enchantment'
    'Hearts' Reunion'
    'The Witch Within'
    The Wild Rose Press

Coming Soon from Wild Child Publishing:
    'Dragon Wish'
    Wild Child Publishing

Reading: When Beauty Tamed the Beast
    Just Finished Reading: Waking the Witch by Kelly Armstrong
    TBR: Three

Awards Showcase

Moura by Virginia Coffman was one of the first gothics I ever read. I still have it, a paperback printed in 1959 that cost fifty cents. I loved 'em, especially Victoria Holt, Dorothy Eden, Phyllis A Whitney, Isabelle Holland, Barbara Michaels. I've heard editors say that paranormals are the new gothics, but they're not quite like those early ones.

I only remember VC Andrews. She was a gothic writer, no?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast