Reading: Mercedes Lackey
    Just Finished Reading: Lena Austin's latest in the Coyote Series. VERY GOOD!
    TBR: >2k

Awards Showcase

revision Lesson 11: Let's Write!

Yes, we're in the homestretch of the workshop now. What does this mean? This means we get to review a bit, we get to talk about whatever you want and it means THIS is the last planned lesson.

So, now that you've got yourself ready- completed your character sheets, have your blurbs and your chapter plotter- now what? Well first-- those things need to be in a binder or a file folder to keep them together and ready at a moment's notice when you're writing. Second-- pat yourself on the back. You've done something you hadn't done before. WHOOO HOO! Go You!

It's time to write and I can feel the hearts thumping a hundred miles a minute. How do you write? Where do you start? OMG, can I do it with this? Remember-- this is something to try to see if it fits WHO you are as a writer. You aren't going to be exactly like me, and I don't expect you to do it exactly like I do. LOL So, let's begin.

Let's start at the beginning. Look at your chapter plotter and your beginning hook you wrote. Think on what's there, what's said. Then open your mind to your character and WRITE. You have your movie trailer opening with you, working with this moment, so let it flow. Don't worry on writing correctly or cleanly (Though I admit-- I hate revisions and edits so I write clean because I'm obnoxious that way!). The idea here is letting the flow take you.

What if you're not in the mood to start at chapter one, scene one? Then look at your plotter and see what calls to you? What scene says-- WRITE ME! WRITE ME! Take that scene, look at what's needed and write. The idea is here, to write whatever the muse says to write, because you're giving the muse something to work with. You don't have to write in order, you don't have to feel obligated to force yourself to work in what you don't want. This is all about letting your flow work for you- not against you.

The other reason this works- it prevents from writer's block. At any time, you can turn to your plotter and go-- I've covered this and this, but not these chapters-- which will I work on today. Doesn't matter if you write crap for it-- but that you train yourself and your muse to work when it's presented with what's left.

Those short paragraphs will give you an opening to let your muse flow. They will let you know what you're working with and what the setting is. It's a way to aid your writing in a soft way that doesn't feel too laid out. More importantly, it's okay if you don't finish writing all of the scene at once. You've got it, you can always add more when you can, how you can. But look at what you've accomplished!

Training ourselves to work with our flow, with our Muses isn't easy, but it can be easier by giving them the base they need to get our mind moving and flowing. That's why you have that lovely folder now. It's why you can jot down anything you add that might be important later into that last column on the chapter plotter. That way you know what it's for and that it needs to be mentioned later on.

More importantly, you've freed yourself from only working linearly- especially when you're stressing about the every day things. Gods, it's not easy when you're working a day job, balancing family, stresses of health and the economy in these days. Then on top of that, you're trying to write too! It's enough to make anyone's muse take a holiday! So, you present it with options-- and when she peeks out and goes..."Hmm, that could be..." you sit down and start writing, which makes HER give you the next movie trailer for that chapter.

Remember, find what works best for you. If you can't start at the beginning, then start elsewhere. Now, IF you're like me, you've got the first chapter or so already written. So, go back, reread it, see what needs to be adjusted to accommodate your storyline and what is fine. Then look at the plotter. You'll get a pull on what you need to write next. It's just wanting a way out by now.

Wow!
    >>
    Thanks so much for taking the time to do this workshop with us Cynnara. It’s been really helpful to see how your RPG plotting system works. And your class served as my very first introduction to Coffee Time Romance, which I am very happy to be a new member of.
    >>
    Before you go, please put up some links where we can see work that you’ve written. I’d like to get to know your work better – and maybe “see” your plotting work in action. For me, I tend to learn by example the best. Then it seems like it’s always revise, revise, revise my work until it begins to measure up!
    >>
    And it’s always good to know somebody else who’s read Spock’s World! Heh heh. Us Trekkie girls gotta stick together.
    >>
    Yakkity

Awards Showcase

Always, and I'll be glad to answer any questions about plotting, writing, or anything else that comes to mind for you all through tomorrow. Sunday is my last day of vacation. *sob*

Where you can find me--- www.cynnara.com

Where you can find my books--- www.loose-id.com, www.aspenmountainpress.com, www.redrosepublishing.com

Be warned- I write HOT. More importantly, I do write about BDSM and sometime this fall will be giving my BDSM is not just Kinky Sex workshop for writers. *grins*

Awards Showcase

Thank you very much for this workshop, Cynnara. It is so good to talk writing with writers. I have a story now that might be worth writing. I've had no interest in new material since about October. Talking to my daughter, who is working on her second novel, convinced me that I should persevere with my Scheherazade becomes Miss Marple concept.
    I'm very grateful that this worshop has brushed the cobwebs away.
    Rusty

Awards Showcase

Anytime, Rusty. It was workshop that really gave me that push to get serious and to persevere. Take that concept, work on it, refine exactly what you want from it and how you can get it and keep your stories living with that idea. I LOVE it and you never know-- it could be the thing that makes it through to other publishers, NY included!