Thread: Biting issues

Reading: Go Fetch- Shelly Laurenston
    Just Finished Reading: Pack Challenge by Shelly Laurenston
    TBR: Lots

Awards Showcase

Default Biting issues

I am wondering if anyone in CTR land can help me! We have a 4 month old English mastiff named Diesel. He is an absolute joy except for the biting. He will lunge and bite at my husband and I. He doesn't really bother the other dogs in the house. Mostly it is just that he is playing,but it has to stop before he gets any bigger. I have tried everything I can think of from bitter apple spray to grabbing him by the nap of the neck in order to get him to stop. Any ideas?
    Happy Reading,
    Kimberly

Contest Coordinator for CTR

2. Super Spify Woman & Bestest Buddy to Karenne
    TBR: ??

Awards Showcase

I'll ask my cousin and a friend to see if either of them know since both of them have dogs they've raised since puppyhood.

Do you give him rawhide bones or something like that to chew on? Maybe he's teething and that's why he's biting too. Also, have you thought about asking your vet for ideas? Most of the time they know of many ways to stop those kinds of habits. I know that they don't always work either, but it's worth a phone call to ask.
    Dani
    I've decided to use my name on my profile now to make things simple, but I am and always will be THE IrishWolf.

Awards Showcase

We give him all sorts of toys to chew on. He has almost the entire Kong collection from PetSmart, plus a rope and Chilly Bone (to help with the teething). He just prefers us to his toys.
    Diesel went in for his checkup a week ago. The suggestions from the vet are the ones I've been trying. They just aren't working. A friend of mine suggested biting his ear until he cries when he bites us. It makes him bite harder!
    He is teething, we know that. But he isn't chewing on us, he's biting with his little needle teeth! I just don't want him to be a 200+ pound dog with a biting issue. I've never had this issue with the other dogs and we've raised all but one since they were puppies.
    Thanks for the help.
    Happy Reading,
    Kimberly

Reading: Beautiful Mistake by Nancy Corrigan
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Bites by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    TBR: ?????

Awards Showcase

i bit mine back she soon stopped just a quick nip on the ear it's the same theroy as smacking a toddler on the nappy it shocks them more than hurts
    Hugs
    Hollie

Reading: Delicious by Shayla Black
    Just Finished Reading: ALl 3 Pamela Palmer Feral books
    TBR: 150?

Awards Showcase

Kimberly,
    give it a shot-it can't hurt. Maybe he is trying to learn his place in the pack? If anything bite him back but do it in your own home so the neighbors wont think you and the dog have a bitting problem (he he he)

Reading: Beautiful Mistake by Nancy Corrigan
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Bites by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    TBR: ?????

Awards Showcase

i have 4 kids and an other dog so i had to teach the pup that she was below all the kids in the 'pack'.
    now she just bullies the other dog he's 3 or 4 times bigger than her so i figure he can hold his own
    Hugs
    Hollie

Reading: Forever by Jude Deveraux
    Just Finished Reading: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Awards Showcase

If it is an issue where he wants to play, try taking away exactly what he wants. Every time he lunges, turn your back to him. If he doesn't get your attention, and that's what he wants, he'll learn that behavior will take your attention away from him. Maybe????
    Destiny Booze
    Romantic Suspense/Thriller Author
    mailto:destinybooze@gmail.com
    www.destinybooze.com

Upcoming Release ~ Accelerating Circumstances ~ Coming November 2011

Make-believe is more than a child’s game!

Awards Showcase

Thank you, Destiny! It's usually when Diesel and I are playing. When he does act inappropriately, I have been getting up and walking away from him. It has worked so far! He knows when we play and when it's time to behave. It's been so hard here since it hasn't stopped raining since the 9th of September. He doesn't really get to run off his energy. I've come up with all sorts of things to keep him occupied! The hubby isn't happy with some of them, but they aren't dangerous to the puppy, just messy!
    Happy Reading,
    Kimberly

Reading: Dragon Wytch, by Yasmine Galenorn
    TBR: Many

Awards Showcase

There is a great dog toy called the Buster Cube, that used to keep my Baron occupied. It is a big cube that you put kibble in. It can be adjusted from easy to difficult and is alot of fun. Also a marrow bone, sterilized-can be filled with spray cheese or peanut butter, that should keep him busy for a while.

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by maura View Post
    There is a great dog toy called the Buster Cube, that used to keep my Baron occupied. It is a big cube that you put kibble in. It can be adjusted from easy to difficult and is alot of fun. Also a marrow bone, sterilized-can be filled with spray cheese or peanut butter, that should keep him busy for a while.
    Thanks Maura! We have a Buster Cube and he loves it. That and his Kong! Anything I can put peanut butter in keeps the Prince of Mischief and Mayhem happy! He is shaping up to be a terrific dog, he's just a little more headstrong than we were prepared for. Luckily, I'm more stubborn! LOL
    Happy Reading,
    Kimberly