Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biting issues

Reading: Go Fetch- Shelly Laurenston
    Just Finished Reading: Pack Challenge by Shelly Laurenston
    TBR: Lots

Awards Showcase

Default Biting issues

I am wondering if anyone in CTR land can help me! We have a 4 month old English mastiff named Diesel. He is an absolute joy except for the biting. He will lunge and bite at my husband and I. He doesn't really bother the other dogs in the house. Mostly it is just that he is playing,but it has to stop before he gets any bigger. I have tried everything I can think of from bitter apple spray to grabbing him by the nap of the neck in order to get him to stop. Any ideas?
    Happy Reading,
    Kimberly

Contest Coordinator for CTR

2. Super Spify Woman & Bestest Buddy to Karenne
    TBR: ??

Awards Showcase

I'll ask my cousin and a friend to see if either of them know since both of them have dogs they've raised since puppyhood.

Do you give him rawhide bones or something like that to chew on? Maybe he's teething and that's why he's biting too. Also, have you thought about asking your vet for ideas? Most of the time they know of many ways to stop those kinds of habits. I know that they don't always work either, but it's worth a phone call to ask.
    Dani
    I've decided to use my name on my profile now to make things simple, but I am and always will be THE IrishWolf.

Awards Showcase

We give him all sorts of toys to chew on. He has almost the entire Kong collection from PetSmart, plus a rope and Chilly Bone (to help with the teething). He just prefers us to his toys.
    Diesel went in for his checkup a week ago. The suggestions from the vet are the ones I've been trying. They just aren't working. A friend of mine suggested biting his ear until he cries when he bites us. It makes him bite harder!
    He is teething, we know that. But he isn't chewing on us, he's biting with his little needle teeth! I just don't want him to be a 200+ pound dog with a biting issue. I've never had this issue with the other dogs and we've raised all but one since they were puppies.
    Thanks for the help.
    Happy Reading,
    Kimberly

Reading: Beautiful Mistake by Nancy Corrigan
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Bites by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    TBR: ?????

Awards Showcase

i bit mine back she soon stopped just a quick nip on the ear it's the same theroy as smacking a toddler on the nappy it shocks them more than hurts
    Hugs
    Hollie

Reading: Delicious by Shayla Black
    Just Finished Reading: ALl 3 Pamela Palmer Feral books
    TBR: 150?

Awards Showcase

Kimberly,
    give it a shot-it can't hurt. Maybe he is trying to learn his place in the pack? If anything bite him back but do it in your own home so the neighbors wont think you and the dog have a bitting problem (he he he)

Reading: Beautiful Mistake by Nancy Corrigan
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Bites by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    TBR: ?????

Awards Showcase

i have 4 kids and an other dog so i had to teach the pup that she was below all the kids in the 'pack'.
    now she just bullies the other dog he's 3 or 4 times bigger than her so i figure he can hold his own
    Hugs
    Hollie

Awards Showcase

Default Thank you all!!

The brat is still being a brat, but a little less so than he had been! I agree with IrishWolf, I think it is just a teething issue. He has, since my original post, lost about 7 teeth and the biting has lessened. We are back up to 5 dogs, but the girls just won't get after him!
    I just wanted to say thanks for the advice. We don't have the two legged children, just the four legged furry kind. I panic sometimes because I don't want them to be bad dogs. I want them to represent their breeds in the best light possible.
    I have added pictures to my album if you want to see the brat in question.
    Thanks again,
    Happy Reading,
    Kimberly

Reading: Dragon Wytch, by Yasmine Galenorn
    TBR: Many

Awards Showcase

Default Bratstiff

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
    The brat is still being a brat, but a little less so than he had been! I agree with IrishWolf, I think it is just a teething issue. He has, since my original post, lost about 7 teeth and the biting has lessened. We are back up to 5 dogs, but the girls just won't get after him!
    I just wanted to say thanks for the advice. We don't have the two legged children, just the four legged furry kind. I panic sometimes because I don't want them to be bad dogs. I want them to represent their breeds in the best light possible.
    I have added pictures to my album if you want to see the brat in question.
    Thanks again,
    Glad everyone could help you. I am surprised your girls haven't put him in his place yet though, mine is the queen of the house. I will be checking out your pictures. Is the little monster in training yet, my GSD needed a job and school helped.

Awards Showcase

I wish they would, but the only one willing to do so is our chow/collie mix. Our GSD runs and hides from him. Our Springer mix tries to ignore him and our other chow mix is having anger management issues! I am checking into obedience training this weekend, in fact. I know it will certainly do him some good. Diesel is calming down a bit, though, he and I rough house quite a bit throughout the day. I am his favorite companion which has its good points as well as its bad. He fell head over heels for our 19 year old niece over the last week. Wherever she was, that's where Diesel wanted to be! I'll let you know how the obedience training goes... for both of us
    Happy Reading,
    Kimberly

10. Super Spify Woman & Bestest Buddy to Karenne
    TBR: ??

Awards Showcase

Good luck Kimberly.

I did get to ask my friend (she raised dogs all her life) about this and she said to flick him on the nose (not the mussle, but the nose). It's very sensitive and she said that they usually get the hint after having it done once or twice.
    Dani
    I've decided to use my name on my profile now to make things simple, but I am and always will be THE IrishWolf.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast