TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

Smile Butterfly Garden Plans Can Start Now

by K-State Research & Extension

MANHATTAN, Kan. - A butterfly garden is simply one that encourages butterflies to visit in summer by providing the basics those "fluttering flowers" need.
    "The only problem in planning one is the fact that different butterfly species prefer different flowers as food," said Ward Upham, horticulturist with Kansas State University Research and Extension.
    Gardeners who hope to attract a certain species usually have to do some study on the Web or in the library to learn the best plants to try. They may end up having to experiment a bit, too, Upham said.
    Following the rules below, however, can help lure butterflies to any yard:
    • Plant groups of the same plant variety together. Detecting a single plant is hard for butterflies.
    • Choose a variety of plants with bloom times that vary by time of day, as well as time of year.
    • Remember butterflies are cold-blooded. Plan for open areas where they can sun themselves on cool days and shaded zones where they can cool off when the sun is intense.
    Upham recommends a simple way for gardeners to maintain a butterfly water supply, without creating a mosquito breeding site: Fill a bucket with gravel and bury it to the rim. As needed, add enough water, sugar water or sweet drinks so that butterflies can land on the gravel, yet also reach the liquid.
    "If you´re not fussy about the species who visit, you can just aim for variety or plan your plantings from the lists of known butterfly favorites," the horticulturist added. Those favorites include:
    • Annuals - ageratum, cosmos, French marigold, petunia, verbena and zinnia.
    • Early-blooming perennials and shrubs - allium, chive, forget-me-not and lilac.
    • Mid-season perennials and shrubs - bee balm, butterfly bush, black-eyed Susan, buttonbush, butterfly weed, daisy, daylily, gaillardia, lavender, lily, mint, phlox, privet, sunflower and veronica.
    • Later bloomers - aster, glossy abelia, and sedum.
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

Reading: The FBI Thrillers by Catherine Coulter- all 15 of them!!!
    Just Finished Reading: The Mitford Series
    TBR: 15

Awards Showcase

Default rotten fruit

We have a butterfly house by us and they put out rotten fruit- bananas, oranges, etc. The butterflies swarm to it.
    Well behaved women never make history.
    http://kissastarling.com

Thanks for the info. I'll have to give it a try.
    Laura/L.A. Day
    Made for Me releasing May 29th from Ellora's Cave
    Check out my site for my other releases.
    http://www.la-day.com
    http://www.la-day.blogspot.com

Awards Showcase

We have some plants that get a few butterflies but not swarms. This summer when it all blooms I will have to draw a picture of where everything is so that we can get more butterflies.

A butterfly garden sounds pretty. We don't get to many butterflies in my area. I will have to try to garden next year and see if we get any. I am sure that my children will love it.