With full apologies to the better known version of that adage, I've just finished revamping my website after five years of merely updating it occasionally and I'd forgotten how much work is involved for amateurs like me.( http://www.amygallow.com ).
Snow Drifter will be released in July by Whiskey Creek Press and A Soldier's Woman in August by Eternal Press and I'm gearing up for the flurry of promotional work that goes with releasing a book. Then I'll be able to concentrate on writing until November or December, when Whiskey Creek Press will release A Fair Trader.
Magazine short stories are much better. You sell them, the check arrives in the mail and a month after the magazine comes out, the rights are yours again.
I'm not sure about movies yet. The Widow-Maker is still in its infancy, but I found doing character breakdowns for every individual mentioned in the story quite challenging after painting them with such broad strokes in the story.
I was too hungry to be published to ever think much about the aftermath, but I wouldn't miss a moment of it.
It's a great life
Amy